HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Can Powder Loose Potency? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/356927-can-powder-loose-potency.html)

HuntAway 01-10-2012 04:11 PM

Can Powder Loose Potency?

I have a can of Pyrodex RS that is who knows how old. Can a powder loose it's potency over time? It has been stored in it's original container and not subject to temperature extremes.

I ask because I took it out for a shoot on the weekend. It was all over the place accuracy wise. It didn't seem to have much recoil as compared to an equivilant load (vol) of Goex 3F BP. Very little smoke. I also had to deaden a charge and pull the bullet because it would not ignite.

Thanks,

HA

caplock 01-10-2012 05:12 PM

I had a can of RS that was about 10 years old that I was going to shoot up one time. The stuff was horrible, it had very little power, hang fired badly, and was terribly dirty. I quit after 3 shots and dumped it out on the ground. So in my opinion yes it can loose it's power over time. Or perhaps it just absorbs moisture?

50calty 01-10-2012 05:25 PM

Depends on the powder. I've heard that pyro is the worst though. On the other hand I've had BH209 a year old and burn like it was made that day. Same way with my smokeless powders.

cayugad 01-10-2012 05:48 PM

The powder can amaze or make you crazy. I have had cans that were six years old and they shot fine. Then I had a can of Triple Seven that was two years old.. and it was worthless. If you doubt ... throw it out. I like to make trails with it then ignite it and watch it flash.

HuntAway 01-10-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3900020)
The powder can amaze or make you crazy. I have had cans that were six years old and they shot fine. Then I had a can of Triple Seven that was two years old.. and it was worthless. If you doubt ... throw it out. I like to make trails with it then ignite it and watch it flash.

Is Pyrodex an organic powder that decomposes? You would think if stored properly it would last???

I like your line of thought though. When in doubt throw it out. Or rather build a line and light it up! :barmy:

Thanks,

HA

Breechplug 01-10-2012 06:47 PM

I've had cans of Pyro RS that were 3-4 years old and shot fine, they were stored in My Cedar Chest. I usually try and use up everything that is going on 2 years old but I bought a bunch on sale one time and could'nt possibly shot it all up. I think it all depends on how and where it's stored, Humidity in certain states can do it.
Personally I try not to use any powder or pellet that is over 2 years old, two years old meaning I bought it in the Fall and then came next Fall then still had it the following Fall, it was all used then.
(BP)

falcon 01-11-2012 04:07 AM

Recently tried some Pyrodex RS in my Encore. The can was opened in 2006 before i started using JSG and Pinnacle. The powder went bang with authority and gave good groups.

WV Hunter 01-11-2012 04:25 AM

FWIW....

The can of Pyrodex RS I am using right now is at least 7-8yrs old. (My dad gave me this can about 4 years ago when he quit using Pyrodex. I didn't start shooting it until I ran out of the powder I was using about 2yrs ago). It has always been properly stored. I shot last week with it...it shot as good and strong as any new can I've ever shot.

HuntAway 01-11-2012 06:32 AM

The best I can figure is that this can is probably from the mid 80's ish??? I think it has seen it's day.

HA

Landngroove 01-11-2012 01:11 PM

FWIW I store my cans of Pyro, and 777, tightly sealed, and in resealable baggies freezer bags. I think this helps to keep air, and humidity out. I keep my Goex stored just with the caps tight, and in a dry temperature-stable area. Never had a problem with Goex.