Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader Barrels, care, breaking in and life spans >

Muzzleloader Barrels, care, breaking in and life spans

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Barrels, care, breaking in and life spans

Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't see how black powder would make a barrel wear out faster either if you clean your rifle when you get done shooting. My barrels will all outlive me.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
the only wear in a barrel that i have ever seen was right at the crown and that's due to the normal ramrod hitting the spot over time and wearing it down.
Jon, crown wear is more than likely the #1 accuracy killer, most are not even aware of it being a problem. i always use a bore guide when cleaning and loading, only time i don't is under hunting situations.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my rifle has been used extensively for testing breech plug design, and ignition of BH209. It has seen a very many many shots. Now, when it is loaded, i can feel a loose spot just above where the bullet sits, that seems to be about 2 or 3 inches long. Right or wrong, i think this loose spot is due to barrel erosion from the heat of cumbustion. The rifle didn't shoot very accurately the past few times out, so i removed the scope, and put it on another rifle. In my mind, this rifle is worn out.

This rifle would probably be in much better shape right now, if it didn't belong to me. I have left it dirty, loaded, outside in many many nights, and days of sub-zero weather. It has been shot in temperatures over 95, to the point where one couldn't hold onto the barrel for an instant. The barrel has minor pitting from end to end caused by rust. Even though it was pitted, it still shot real good up until the loose spot developed.

This rifle' barrel is blue. It was purchased on sale. It has been a marvelous test bed. In my mind, it has exposed many many myth about what it takes to ignite BH209, and for that i am forever grateful. However, i admit to being a little sad, because it can no longer shoot straight, and this is due to the ways i abused it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

send it in for warranty/replacement. Thats what its fer
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
send it in for warranty/replacement. Thats what its fer
No it isn't.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

yes it is, just send it in with your name and info.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been reading "The Complete Black Powder Handbook" by Sam Fadala, copyright 1979 by DBI Books, Inc, Northfield, IL. He has a chapter on accuracy, in it he says that after 1,000 rounds accuracy begins to deteriorate. He used three rifles in a test to come up with this, he used patched ball in all of them. He says that groups went from 1 and 1/2 inches at 75 yards to 2 and 1/2 inches and a bit more by the time that the 2,000th shot was fired. He tried using a thicker patch, which helped a little and larger balls but the best accuracy was gone forever. This was in .50 cal guns. He also said that it took about 100 rounds for the new barrels to group well.
He thinks the patch may serve to lap the barrel causing wear.

I think I will shoot short conicals and not patched RB if my gun will shoot them well.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

he also shot massive 200gr 2f loads. On the traditional forum this writer was getting slammed badly. I never read the book, guess i will have to pick up a copy.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

200 gr FFg loads. Wow, that would have been like a flame thrower. No wonder the barrel eroded from all that heat all the way up the barrel.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
I have been reading "The Complete Black Powder Handbook" by Sam Fadala, copyright 1979 by DBI Books, Inc, Northfield, IL. He has a chapter on accuracy, in it he says that after 1,000 rounds accuracy begins to deteriorate. He used three rifles in a test to come up with this, he used patched ball in all of them. He says that groups went from 1 and 1/2 inches at 75 yards to 2 and 1/2 inches and a bit more by the time that the 2,000th shot was fired. He tried using a thicker patch, which helped a little and larger balls but the best accuracy was gone forever. This was in .50 cal guns. He also said that it took about 100 rounds for the new barrels to group well.
He thinks the patch may serve to lap the barrel causing wear.

I think I will shoot short conicals and not patched RB if my gun will shoot them well.
See, I think I was on to something here.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.