Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flint and Primer Dispenser Questions >

Flint and Primer Dispenser Questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flint and Primer Dispenser Questions

Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flint and Primer Dispenser Questions

I got an email from ToW today showing their weekly specials and such. The first couple of items were primer flasks. 3 and 4 grains.

Like the one in the link.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...Num=FLASK-PP-4

So my questions are;
Has anyone owned one of them?
Are they calibrated to 4f prime?
Which one would better suit my needs for my GPR and Deerstalkers?
I currently have a little primer powder horn but I can't regulate / meter out the amount of powder that goes into the pan (it is a free flow style). It would be nice to have a set amount shot to shot.

In an earlier thread we were talking about flint nipping. A few of the guy's said the flint should be a 1/16" from the frizzen when at half c0ck. I looked at ToW's flint chart and they recommend 3/4 x 3/4 flints for the Lyman rifle. This flint which I purchased in the past is nowhere near 1/16".
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...m=FLINT-ENG-5S

Should I be using the 7/8" x 3/4" flint in order to get it a bit closer to the frizzen?

Thanks,

HA
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of them flasks for my flash pan. And yes, it is a great pan primer. Personally it pours a little too much powder for my tastes. So I just put in what I think is right and open the gate and let the powder fall back into the flask.
As for the flints, I believe I used 3/4x3/4 in my Lyman and as I recall they were a tad short. You may be better served with the 3/4 x 7/8"
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

The flints I use for all my rifles are 5/8 wide by 3/4 long. Most of them are Thomas Fuller Black English Flints, although I do have a couple Amber French flints in there also.

If you go to the 3/4 wide flints they will work fine. But sometimes in rifles they will over extend the width of the frizzen and jaw. And then you will see corners sticking too far out from the side of the frizzen. Sometimes when you shoot the wider flints they will shatter corners off. Which can ruin the flint. I use the 5/8 in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter and my two Lyman Trade Rifles and they work fine. But maybe they are made to use a 3/4. Although I just checked my Trade Rifle and that 5/8 does look the same width as the frizzen.

I have a pan flask primer that throws 3 grains. It works pretty good but the more you use it the more temperamental it can get. If you find that the little pan flask wants to stay open... take the nose off. Inside you will see a spring that basically closes the lip on it. In that, you push down in the nose, that opens the lid, releases powder and as you let up on the nose it shuts the lid. If you see that the thing is still throwing powder after being released, take some alcohol and a Q tips and clean that area. Make sure it is dry before putting it back on the tube. Then the door will open and close easier again and it works fine then.

When the flint is in the jaw, and the frizzen is on half c0ck.. there is about a 1/16-1/8 open area between them. Remember, that flint has to push on that frizzen in a downward motion to make the spark and to make that frizzen spring grab and pull it out of the way.

there have I confused you good... I know I am.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I just took my caliper and measured some of my flints.. By Gosh... some of them are 3/4 wide at the nose of the flint. So I would go with the one they recommend for the rifle.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your replies fella's.

Here's a pic of my .54 The flint is just over a 1/4 inch from the frizzen. That is why I was wondering if maybe I should be using a longer flint. The 3/4 is the proper width.

HA
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just put a piece of wood (1/2" length of a small tree branch/wood dowel/etc.) between the rear of the flint and the c0ck screw. That's a standard procedure as a flint wears down and becomes shorter.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Just put a piece of wood (1/2" length of a small tree branch/wood dowel/etc.) between the rear of the flint and the c0ck screw. That's a standard procedure as a flint wears down and becomes shorter.
I'll try to remmember that Semi. Thanks, but these flints seem short right off the get go.

HA