Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pardon My Flip-Flop (on Leaving a Gun Loaded) >

Pardon My Flip-Flop (on Leaving a Gun Loaded)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pardon My Flip-Flop (on Leaving a Gun Loaded)

Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometime near the beginning of this past November i walked around with my rifle over my shoulder in snow storm. To protect the bore, i put a black child's balloon over the muzzle. The next time i went hunting was a couple three day later, and it was a nice bright blue sky day. I removed the balloon, and that revealed a dry clean nice looking bore. It also revealed the balloon had held moisture on the barrel, and the outside of the barrel had a ring of rust where the balloon ended.

Because the rifle was loaded with the non-hygroscopic BH, it never occurred to me that the powder could be compromised, and it wasn't. A short time later, the trigger was pulled, and ignition was perfect, as it has always been in the X7.

The irony of this thread keeps washing over me. Who would've thought that BH209 would turn out to be the most reliable sub, what with all the jillions of other threads, by folk complaining of issues, trying to use BH in their rifles.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I always tape off my barrel so no moisture can get in... I leave mine loaded for a week at a time usually. Always make sure to shoot off primers after you have cleaned your rifle before loading. Never had a problem...

I use black electrical tape.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as reliable ignition goes No powder is as reliable as goex or another real black in my opinion. All powders and subs need to be kept dry to be reliable.
Having a fresh load is the most sure way to know you are going to have a big BOOM!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I agree. Wetting and drying does not change the physical properties of BH - or of Black Powder. Black powder that has been wet then dried out fires just fine. But I suspect it may take longer to dry than BH.
That's interesting. Then perhaps I am not recalling the experiment correctly, if that's what happens with standard black powder, too (my recollection is that whatever the experiment showed was unique to BH209). Maybe the charge was weighed immediately after the surface of the powder was dry; i.e. to say that it never actually absorbed the water. I don't know...I will try to find and post it.

On another note, my deer season ended on Saturday with no shot, so the charge that has been in my gun since Thanksgiving is still there and will be fired when I have a chance.