Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Butch's Bore Shine >

Butch's Bore Shine

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Butch's Bore Shine

Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default Butch's Bore Shine

Will the regular stuff work on black powder or do I need the one specifically for black powder? My wife bought some for me (bless her heart) for Christmas.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by moose drool
Will the regular stuff work on black powder or do I need the one specifically for black powder? My wife bought some for me (bless her heart) for Christmas.
I use Bore Shine most of the time with my ML's. One ofthe reasons that they had specific products for real BP is so not to introduce a petroleum product into the bore of your gun. Oil and real BP together are not the best combination. If you are using a BP sub - go for it.

Another real good one is Barnes CR 10 or the Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Spike

Thanks....I use T7
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some because it came with my Lyman Rifles. I always use it after I give the barrels a hot soapy water bath. Then I dry the barrel with a couple of patches then run 3 Bore Shine patches like their directions suggest. Then dry and CLP it.

Maybe I'm doing too much???? Just the way I do it.

HA
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

always turned pyrodex or t7 fouling hard in my bores.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I just finished using Butch's Bore Shine for black powder and it cleaned the BlackHorn 209 out of the Genesis just fine. Although I normally use Hoppes #9 when I shoot BlackHorn.. I was out. So I had to make do.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
I just finished using Butch's Bore Shine for black powder and it cleaned the BlackHorn 209 out of the Genesis just fine. Although I normally use Hoppes #9 when I shoot BlackHorn.. I was out. So I had to make do.
Would you suggest using the black powder version as opposed to the regular for Triple 7?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by moose drool
Would you suggest using the black powder version as opposed to the regular for Triple 7?
I think you already know that I shoot T7 and I use Butches all the time - never turned anything hard in my bores - it actually is a very good cleaner.... A little stinky - but it works well.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

When I shoot Triple Seven I use Simple Green. It is a cleaner you purchase commercially. I buy it by the gallon and mix my own. I like it 1/3 Simple Green and 2/3rds water. It will cut fouling and just clean Triple Seven and Pyrodex RS fouling out of a bore like magic. After the rifle is clean I then like to run a patch of Butch's Bore Shine through. 99% of the time it comes out nice and clean, but it gives me that peace of mind. Then after drying the bore, I like to oil it up.

To give you an idea of how good a cleaner this Simple Green is (and I own no stock in the company).. I use it to take the carbon off the inside of the glass door on my wood stove. You know.. all that soot that collects on the inside of the door. Well then I can not see my fire. But when the window is cool, I spray that inside door and with a paper towel wipe it clean. It really does work well for most cleaning jobs.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I'm slowly, very slowly, getting the hang of this muzzleloading lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.