Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which are the most accurate muzzloaders today? >

Which are the most accurate muzzloaders today?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which are the most accurate muzzloaders today?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which are the most accurate muzzloaders today?

I am in the market for a new muzzloader and am interested in what others have found to be the most accurate muzzloading rifle out there. Black powder, not smokeless powder.

I am looking for a .45 caliber, preferably break action, .209 ignition system. I have a gun that I can (and have) reliably take deer out to 200 yards and want to push that envelope out to 250 or so - i.e. I am looking for guns that can get <1.5" groups at 100 yards. What do you guys have?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Man this one is going to get it going because there are "fan boys" all over the place. You are going to get a lot of varying answers. So here is mine. I'm not a "fan" of break actions, I like the bolt style muzzy, so "my" choice is a Knight!! I really love my Mountaineer, but enjoy by Extreme and MHC as well. They all shoot great at a 100 yards. My Extreme is a .45 and is a real pleasure to shoot, my others are .50 cals and have a little more kick but nothing to sever at all. My suggestion is once you have it numbered down to 20 or so, haha, shoulder a few and see if they are going to fit your style of shooting and go from there. Good luck with your quest!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by JoeRE
I am in the market for a new muzzloader and am interested in what others have found to be the most accurate muzzloading rifle out there. Black powder, not smokeless powder.

I am looking for a .45 caliber, preferably break action, .209 ignition system. I have a gun that I can (and have) reliably take deer out to 200 yards and want to push that envelope out to 250 or so - i.e. I am looking for guns that can get <1.5" groups at 100 yards. What do you guys have?
I would suggest that most of the ML's on the market today can shoot 1 1/2" groups @ 100 with the better projectiles on the market if we do our part.

Since you have indicated a 'break open' and there are some really good ones out there - I can not be of much help other that to tell you my Omega (not really a break open more a falling block) and my Triumph will both shoot the 1 1/2 group.

I really do not use them that much any longer as I have discovered the Knight DISC Elite-Extreme and now the Mountaineer, and I much prefer the one piece strength of these rifles, but I could be in the minority. Speaking of accuracy, Knight has a guarantee of a 4" group @ 200 with the upper end Knights, but then again I think most other ML's will get in that area with the right components.

If you are not in a hurry to get this gun you might wait for Knight to announce their 2012 lineup. They may have some nice surprises for eveyone.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion is similar to Sabotloaders. Any of the TC or the Knights will shoot a minute of angle as will the top of the line CVA but you have to find a load that the gun likes [which is more difficult with a 45 than a 50 because of the very limited supply of bullets available] but most of the time the problem is the capabilities of the operator. I have a varmint rifle which will shoot 1/4 inch groups with a really good bench shooter behind it but a lot of the people I have let try it shoot 4 to 6 inch groups with the same 20 power scope and gun and shell that will shoot 1/4 inch with one of a few people behind it.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoeRE

If you can do 200 with your current set up, i am sure with a little tweaking of the load or bullet. You can accomplish 250yds. without buying anything. If you are looking for a break action a Triumph or a drop action would be an Omega( to me the drop is just as easy to clean and shoot as a break action). Both are excellant guns and will hold their own with any gun on the market.

If you are dedicated to a .45 my opinion would gear towards an Omega. This is about the best deal you will find on a stainless/ composite .45

http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...fm/4,7343.html

Last edited by Boonechaser; 12-30-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

If its a .45 i'd go with an Encore frame but a .45cal Bergara barrel.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
If its a .45 i'd go with an Encore frame but a .45cal Bergara barrel.
I can agree with this.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies...it gives me some stuff to browse! I have shot a lot of different guns and prefer break action but might go for a bolt style if I think the gun has something no break action has.

One question though - does Knight make .45s currently? I didn't think they did anymore but I see some of you are shooting .45 Knights?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other question - Any of you shot the new CVA Accura V2 with the Bergara barrel (in .45 cal)? Can't find many reviews of it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.