Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Acceptable Accuracy with a Flintlock >

Acceptable Accuracy with a Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Acceptable Accuracy with a Flintlock

Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Acceptable Accuracy with a Flintlock

Hello All,

What would you consider acceptable accuracy with the flintlocks (round ball or conicals) of today through various ranges. ie 25, 50, 75, 100,.....

125, 150 or further

I've seen that fella on Shooting USA Mr Flintlock do some pretty good shooting so I was curious how the rest of us mere mortals make out.

HA
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I try to shoot a flintlock as accurate as any other roundball rifle. Or in the case of my GPH any conical shooting rifle with open sights. I TRY for 4 inches at least at 100 yards, and 2 inches at 50. At 25 yards I like to stack them. Now this is off a bench rest. If you made me shoot free standing.. all bets are off.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the bench with my .54 Great Plains I can get one big hole of an inch or less for five shots @25 yards, all into two inches or less at 50 yards, and "mostly" under four inches at 100. Haven't shot it farther.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 inches at a 100 eh.....seem's I have some work to do on that front. I was getting pie plate accuracy with the .50GPR. I'll have to work on that.

I think those numbers are doable though. Thanks for your thoughts. I do believe the centerfire world would be rolling their eye's though. lol

HA
Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

This at 50 yards...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
This at 50 yards...

Where're the other two NC?

I do like the idea of shooting different targets though. Using .50 or .54 ball they make a big hole to start with and make it real hard to determine your group size. Maybe using a five target page and five shots then measure the deviation off the bull for each.....

HA
Old 12-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Geez, should there be a GPR subforum?!

Huntaway, I'm following your experience as it relates to mine; expect to have a range session today-probably 50 yds, to determine how 85 + gr 777 works out.

I do wonder re: the flintlock; my caplock sends more "crap" into my eyes than any ML I've ever shot previously. Two new nipples are on (back)order; in the meantime I am squeezing the base of the #11 caps for a tight fit-what is the case w/ your pan?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Spike

Wink

The broadside of the neighbors barn would be acceptable to me. I am still having trouble holding steady during the flash-bang. Now my caplock on the other hand I'll lay that next to anything out to 75 yards or so. My resolution this year is to learn to shoot that flinter better.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you flintlock is going flash bang, it's not built properly...There should be no noticable delay when shooting a flintlock...Check to make sure the touch hole is coned from the inside and located at the sunrise position on the pan...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always wear glasses when shooting but nothing ever hits me in the face when shooting the flintlock.

One thing I found that helps me with shootin the flintlock is that my rifle is left handed. When I put the peep sight on it, the flash from the pan is almost entirely blocked by the sight.

I always thought if you are getting blowback from a percussion gun your charge is too high???

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.