Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Investarms

Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Thanks Josmund. I have a T/C book that goes with their hawken. Their max loads are hotter then Investarm offers. Thinking that the twist is one in 60 on mine, I thought I was restricted to either RB or short conicals so I have not tried anything heavier. I do not notice any kick with the 240gr Hornady and 80 grains of RS, but this is from a standing position. I won't be shooting anything bigger then whitetail deer, so the 240 gr. should work. I am assuming that the 80 grains of RS is enough to get the Hornady to "upset" and grip the bore. I think I read somewhere that the T7 that you are using is "hotter" then RS. A couple of years ago I bought several bottles of RS from a K-mart that was selling them for under $4 a bottle so I have a supply of that. I guess it will keep OK until each bottle is opened. I didn't notice a "use by ..." notice on them.

I will try measuring the twist again, I just read some good instructions on this forum.

Correct,

The T7 is a little hotter than RS. Nothing wrong with RS as I've shot plenty with good results. I would say 80 - 85 would be comparable. At $15 -20 per 100 these are great for hunting and just plinking
around.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josmund-

Several years ago one of my sons called me, he was in a K-Mart in Jeff City, MO. They had Pyrodex RS marked down from $14.99 to $3 and change. He uses pellets, but thought that I might want some. I ask him to buy 10 bottles for me, I wish I had ask him to buy it all. He said that the next guy bought 17. Since then I sold a bottle to a buddy for cost and still have the rest. I will be using Pyrodex RS for the rest of my life.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Hawkins MLer's, one is a .54 cal carbine and one is a .50 cal. rifle. The carbine has a twist rate of 1 in 24" and is a Cabalas gun. The rifle comes from InvestArms itself and has a 1 in 66" twist rate. Can't remember what the official powder rates are, but if you are looking for excessive power levels why are you shooting a side lock??? If you want more power, why not get your hands on an inline?

I shoot my carbine with a saboted Barnes Expander bullet and 85 grs. of 2f Goex. On the rifle, I shoot a PRB with 80 grs. of Goex 2f. I have taken many deer with this combo. If you are hunting in an area of 75 yds or less, this is plenty. I hunt in Virginia under these same conditions and am very happy.

As a side note, I have tried to contact InvestArms by email and have more then enough troubles with the language barrier. they ae not the easiest bunch to talk to. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Rafsob, my wife is from Bedford, VA. Investarm has a web site, they have an email address there. I did email them in English, they answered in a couple of days. They have an instruction book on line too, it lists the max loads. I am not into hugh loads, I just want to make sure that I have enough to do the job on deer. Also, TC maximums are 110 grains for the .490 ball, and Investarm is 90 grains. The Investarm has the same size barrel, seems to be as well made, maybe better. I expect that Investarm is afraid of lawsuits so they have the max set low. I have read quite a bit by Sam Fadala, he uses 100 grains and more on many occasions. In one of his books he intentionally blew up several rifles to see what it took. He fed them massive loads, 500 grains and more with double loading of heavy bullets. He finally got them to blow by leaving an air space between the bullets on one and by using smokeless powder in another.
I hunt in NE MO on a farm where there is woods and open fields, too. I use a scoped 3006 if I am watching the fields, I use a 30-30 if I am moving around in the woods I may use the Investarm gun to shoot deer. If I really get into the blackpowder deer hunting business, I will get an inline with a stainless barrel. I don't want to have to take the gun apart every evening and clean the barrel.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Jenks
Hey, Rafsob, my wife is from Bedford, VA. Investarm has a web site, they have an email address there. I did email them in English, they answered in a couple of days. They have an instruction book on line too, it lists the max loads. I am not into hugh loads, I just want to make sure that I have enough to do the job on deer. Also, TC maximums are 110 grains for the .490 ball, and Investarm is 90 grains. The Investarm has the same size barrel, seems to be as well made, maybe better. I expect that Investarm is afraid of lawsuits so they have the max set low. I have read quite a bit by Sam Fadala, he uses 100 grains and more on many occasions. In one of his books he intentionally blew up several rifles to see what it took. He fed them massive loads, 500 grains and more with double loading of heavy bullets. He finally got them to blow by leaving an air space between the bullets on one and by using smokeless powder in another.
I hunt in NE MO on a farm where there is woods and open fields, too. I use a scoped 3006 if I am watching the fields, I use a 30-30 if I am moving around in the woods I may use the Investarm gun to shoot deer. If I really get into the blackpowder deer hunting business, I will get an inline with a stainless barrel. I don't want to have to take the gun apart every evening and clean the barrel.
Hey Jenks, Bedford is a nice town. InvestAms must have had a lot of problems with contacts from us and worked out. Great!

I agree about the idea of lawsuits!!! This does drive our shooting sports more then people would know.

As to your hunting situations in MO, your side locks are more then enough to take game out to 100 to 125 yds for sure. And that would be loading up to 90 grs of powder. Beyond that, I would think about that inline. These are my own thoughts, from my personal experiences. My longest shot was about 120 steps with my Hawkins carbine. That was my .54 with the Barnes sabot and 85 grs of powder.

Sam Fadala is a good source and one I have used a lot. I have two of his books and they helped me get started.

Whatever you decide to go with, good luck and good hunting my friend.