Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornaday SST 300 grain >

Hornaday SST 300 grain

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornaday SST 300 grain

Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Spike

Default Hornaday SST 300 grain

I need some info please. I have 3 ML's that I keep up. One for my wife, one for my son, and one for myself. This year I tried Barnes TEZ due to the ease of loading. They worked fine. I was very pleased with their performance at the range as well as on the deer we shot. (Whitetail) The only problem is the cost. I would like to shoot the rifles some out of season for them all to stay familier with loading and such, but with 3 rifles, I have 2 other younguns that hunt as well, its pretty dern costly shooting the Barnes. I got to looking at cheaper bullets. I read almost all positive comments about the SST's and they are less than half the price. Do any of yall have any personal experience with the SST's in your smokepole. I'm all about a pass thru, so I thought the 300 grain might help in that area. What say you?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well there are some things you have not mentioned. If you shoot deer size animals on the back edge of the front leg shoulder area you can consistently get a pass through with a 250 gr Bonded Shock Wave. I you shoot them in the shoulder bones even a 300 gr might get stopped some times.I use the regular ones for practice and sighting they shoot the same POI for me even at long range. I am putting a pic of this years doe take at 40 yds with 120 gr of Blackhorn and a 250 gr bonded Shock Wave.
Oh and for your info the 250 SST also shoots the same POI.
Pics show inside and out side of the exit hole.
Attached Thumbnails Hornaday SST 300 grain-exit-w-h-oct-26-11-2011-004.jpg   Hornaday SST 300 grain-exit-w-hair-oct-26-11-2011-002.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot a lot of 300 grain SST's and Shockwaves as I like a heavier bullet. Never go to test them on an animal though. I have since went to the 250 grain as I feel they do the same job and are easier to find on sale from time to time.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have not tried the 300gr. T/C Shockwaves/Hornady SST's, but I have shot a lot of 250gr. Shockwaves and SST's out of my Triumph and Black Diamond and love them. I have never had a problem with pass-thru shooting these bullets.

A friend gave me a package of 300gr. Shockwaves the other day (he got a 45 cal. barrel for his Encore, so he can no longer use them). I plan on trying them out sometime this year just to see what kind of difference in accuracy I get out of them.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I know this post isn't about just " Hornaday" products.

You can take a good look at the Harvester line of product from Graf and sons

As I read your post it seems that saving money and more trigger time is your goal.

Any of there selection of Hard cast w/ sabots will shoot great and give you complete pass threw. I personally have the same mold from LBT as the 330 grain package. I have shot the 280 gr. and they shoot great also. Look at the Scorpion line of bullets for real economy. less that $10 for 30c package, this would make a great trigger time projectile .

Grafs prices are good but if you buy in case lots and multiple case they will even get better. Call them for best pricing, 3 weekes ago we got 3 cases of HA5045SB for $3.55 a package of 50.

If you are set on using a bullet that some machine made, then why not buy XTPs in bulk packages and sabots in bulk. (the reference harvester will work great, or get CR if want easier loading) This is not a bullet that will turn heads at the bench, "you know, look at the fancy plastic tip type of bullet" but is a proven performer for those that don't cast their own.

I do not represent Graf and sons in any way, I just like their pricing best on some things I have to buy or choose to buy.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grafs prices are good but if you buy in case lots and multiple case they will even get better. Call them for best pricing, 3 weekes ago we got 3 cases of HA5045SB for $3.55 a package of 50.
That's a really good price Screwbolts. How many packs in a case?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

12 packs of 50 HA5045SB