HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Jags (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/355913-jags.html)

sjsfire 12-24-2011 01:50 PM

Jags

Possible dumb question. And I know there aren't suppose to be dumb questions but here it is. Is there a difference in a loading jag vs. a cleaning jag?

mountaineer magic 12-24-2011 01:52 PM

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

sabotloader 12-24-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sjsfire (Post 3894048)
Possible dumb question. And I know there aren't suppose to be dumb questions but here it is. Is there a difference in a loading jag vs. a cleaning jag?

There often can be, but now days most often the jag serves both purposes.

This is a good example of a multipurose jag, both for loading and cleaning.

and this is an example of a loader... basically smooth fixture with nothing to grip the patch

Which by-the-way - IMO Spin Jag is one of the best jags you can get...

builder459 12-24-2011 02:06 PM

I second what Mike said on the spin jag.. can't go wrong!

t.shaffer 12-25-2011 02:09 AM

with the spin jags the loader jag has a tighter tolerance & you cant use it as a cleaning jag(larger diameter) & the cleaning jag can be used as both & both of the jags do have a concave end to load bullets down the barrel. imo the loader jags is far better on accurcy

Josmund 12-25-2011 03:17 AM

I was thinking of getting a spin jag. But the above post has me thinking. If you can't clean with the loader and were swabbing between shots, would you need a cleaning rod and a loading rod at the range?

Assuming I'm using pointy bullets.

t.shaffer 12-25-2011 09:18 AM

yes you would need 2 rods or switch from cleaning jag to a loader jag & or just use the cleaner jag for cleaning & loading, because the cleaning jag can be used both ways ' i myself use bh209 so cleaning really is'nt neccessary & i like may loading jag better for accuracy

sabotloader 12-25-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Josmund (Post 3894185)
I was thinking of getting a spin jag. But the above post has me thinking. If you can't clean with the loader and were swabbing between shots, would you need a cleaning rod and a loading rod at the range?

Assuming I'm using pointy bullets.

The Spin Jag Original, will do both jobs very well, loading any type of bullets including round balls.

I have never seen the need for a loader, anyway for myself.

quake 12-25-2011 04:37 PM

Not a dumb question at all, sjsfire. A good question. I also think the Spinjags are great.

Merry Christmas.

sjsfire 12-26-2011 02:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I was on Mid South's web site the other day and was just noticing they had "cleaning jags" with ridges. I've been using the jags that are knurled. I may have to order in a couple of those spin jags to try out. Thanks Again, and I hope everyone had a great Christmas.