Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jags

Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jags

Possible dumb question. And I know there aren't suppose to be dumb questions but here it is. Is there a difference in a loading jag vs. a cleaning jag?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:52 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sjsfire
Possible dumb question. And I know there aren't suppose to be dumb questions but here it is. Is there a difference in a loading jag vs. a cleaning jag?
There often can be, but now days most often the jag serves both purposes.

This is a good example of a multipurose jag, both for loading and cleaning.

and this is an example of a loader... basically smooth fixture with nothing to grip the patch

Which by-the-way - IMO Spin Jag is one of the best jags you can get...
Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second what Mike said on the spin jag.. can't go wrong!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

with the spin jags the loader jag has a tighter tolerance & you cant use it as a cleaning jag(larger diameter) & the cleaning jag can be used as both & both of the jags do have a concave end to load bullets down the barrel. imo the loader jags is far better on accurcy

Last edited by t.shaffer; 12-25-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: forgot to mention a few things
Old 12-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking of getting a spin jag. But the above post has me thinking. If you can't clean with the loader and were swabbing between shots, would you need a cleaning rod and a loading rod at the range?

Assuming I'm using pointy bullets.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

yes you would need 2 rods or switch from cleaning jag to a loader jag & or just use the cleaner jag for cleaning & loading, because the cleaning jag can be used both ways ' i myself use bh209 so cleaning really is'nt neccessary & i like may loading jag better for accuracy
Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
I was thinking of getting a spin jag. But the above post has me thinking. If you can't clean with the loader and were swabbing between shots, would you need a cleaning rod and a loading rod at the range?

Assuming I'm using pointy bullets.
The Spin Jag Original, will do both jobs very well, loading any type of bullets including round balls.

I have never seen the need for a loader, anyway for myself.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Not a dumb question at all, sjsfire. A good question. I also think the Spinjags are great.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses. I was on Mid South's web site the other day and was just noticing they had "cleaning jags" with ridges. I've been using the jags that are knurled. I may have to order in a couple of those spin jags to try out. Thanks Again, and I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.