Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
ballistics for 300 yd shot >

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Two members can't seem to let go of a disagreement and keep cluttering up the forum with a running feud that causes other members to complain. I've fielded some of these complaints and have tried to keep the peace and hopefully work out a compromise--if nothing else, agree to disagree and leave each other alone. PMs are being sent to the 2 affected members. Publicly, I can say that both of you are looking at a very long time out if this continues and being put on Santa's naughty list. I hope both of you drop the feud and enjoy the forum(s). At this point, it's your choice and your consequences.

CalHunter
Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Good point oldsmellhound - One needs to know the limitations of their equipment as that is part of being an ethical hunter. It gives one the confidence to take that shot - any shot - you know your limits and capabilities of the weapon you have practiced with. There are many who post here I learn alot from and the author is one of them.......

Dave......JW

Last edited by JW; 12-22-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: if I could spell I would be dangerous!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dutch
Back when I was in the Marine Corps we could see the vapor trails from the 5.56mm when shooting at 500 meters during qualification week. It was only possible on cool mornings when the humidity was high. The guy standing behind the shooter could call the shot before it was marked in the buts. It was great fun seeing who could call it correctly.
I'll 2nd that from personal experience in the Marine Corps also. I was a PMI at Dam Neck Rifle Range in Virginia and it was quite a sight.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

When conditions are right, bullets are easy to see in flight. The sun has to be right, and one has to stand in the right spot. At the range, if one sees a bullet once, then one can stand in the same spot and see bullet after bullet after bullet, until things change like a cloud comes by or the sun moves on etc.. Seen bullets can be super fast magnum bullets, or hand gun bullets or rimfire. Writing this made me realize, i haven't seen a bullet for quite a long long time.

I read one time in a magazine that one doesn't really see the bullet, rather, what one sees is the 'vapor trail'. Myself, i wouldn't know.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
When conditions are right, bullets are easy to see in flight. The sun has to be right, and one has to stand in the right spot. At the range, if one sees a bullet once, then one can stand in the same spot and see bullet after bullet after bullet, until things change like a cloud comes by or the sun moves on etc.. Seen bullets can be super fast magnum bullets, or hand gun bullets or rimfire. Writing this made me realize, i haven't seen a bullet for quite a long long time.

I read one time in a magazine that one doesn't really see the bullet, rather, what one sees is the 'vapor trail'. Myself, i wouldn't know.
I personally have never been in the right spot myself. But then again, I have rarely watched someone else shoot. I am usually behind the gun. I might agree you might see a " vapor trail" but, I will find it very hard to belive the eye can catch a bullet travelling at 1700 fps. At 200 yds. So I will stick with I doubt he is seeing the bullet.

BP, made the statement in his first post as if he see's it reguarly.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen the same thing a couple times with 22's at the range and with some pistols. It was like some kind of glint that only lasted a fraction of a second.

Now if you happen to reload a shotgun shell and only use the primer or a tiny bit of powder (oops), I can tell you from personal experience that you can see the shot and wad both wandering down range at such a very leisurely rate that any self respecting game bird would fall down laughing their head silly over.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Technically it is the vapor trail that one see's and not the bullet.conditions do indeed need to be just right. i have seen a bullets vapor trail several times,when watching my son shoot.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
The problem with it Muley is you voice an opinion in a thread that highlights, "what you do not do" or the way "you do not hunt" So all your input is your, one sided opinion.

If it is something you dont do or dont hunt with or dont whatever, why post in the thread?

Jay,

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by EndeavorShooter
Jay,

...Deleted by CalHunter...
The mods are on it, leave it be. You trying to get banned again?

Apparently he was--It worked.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-22-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe a mod can explain who i'm having a feud with? The PM didn't say.

I don't feel like i'm having a feud with anyone on this forum. I find it hard to believe that anyone is bothered enough to complain. Even after we say we're just fooling around.

I seem to be too much for some sensitive types here. I'm not about to change, and act like someone who's afraid to talk to me instead of a mod.

I'll just go post on forums with guys who don't complain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.