Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
what constitutes a fouled barrel? >

what constitutes a fouled barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what constitutes a fouled barrel?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default what constitutes a fouled barrel?

i've been reading alot of people on here saying that the best accuracy comes from a fouled barrel.
1. do you guys think that a fouled barrel is going from a clean (brushed, patched, dried, oiled) barrel and firing a couple primers?
2. or is it fouled but actually firing a charge of powder?
3. or is it still fouled if you fire a round, wet/dry patch the barrel and reload?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Outdoorsman

Everyone and everygun is different. I have been lucky enough that in mine they will shoot the same POI with a clean or fouled barrel.
whether it be just a couple primers or a round down the tube.

Best thing to do is to try yours in the situations you have mentioned and see what is best for you and your gun.

Testing is the fun part of muzzleloading!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I don't shoot any gun of mine on a fouled barrel except my Whites. for that I usually put 30 gr in and fire it off. All other guns I simply fire a couple primers to make sure the breech plug has no oil or grease in it.

That is a very good idea, if you leave your BP in, after cleaning. I clean mine with brake cleaner and store in my possibles bag. Run a couple alchohol patches down the barrel, to clear oil and then install my breechplug. Then load for the hunt.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

The reason, i leave mine out. I check them about once a month and run a new oil patch down the barrel. Makes me sleep better at night! With the plug out, it makes it easier.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because I like to keep my ML loaded thru the entire season (unless I feel the charge has become compromised by moisture) I always sight my rifles in on a clean barrel. But frankly, on the range, I've never noticed much of a difference between a clean and slightly fouled barrel. I swab between each shot usually with a wet patch (spit or alcohol depending on powder being used) and a dry patch - both sides.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

i've been reading alot of people on here saying that the best accuracy comes from a fouled barrel.
1. do you guys think that a fouled barrel is going from a clean (brushed, patched, dried, oiled) barrel and firing a couple primers? No, that would not be a fouled barrel IMO.
2. or is it fouled but actually firing a charge of powder? Yes if you fire a charge of powder, then it is fouled.
3. or is it still fouled if you fire a round, wet/dry patch the barrel and reload?Yes that would be a fouled barrel.

Whether I foul a bore or not depends on the rifle I am going to shoot. If the rifle shoots way out of a group on a clean VS fouled bore, then I foul the bore. If the rifle (like my Whites) needs the fouled bore to help seat the projectile better, then I foul the bore.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me a fouled barrel is one that is shot and reloaded, a couple of primers just dont foul it enough. Im also fortunate to have a MLer that shoots the same on a clean or a fouled barrel. You have to see what you MLer likes, shoot it on a clean barrel, then on it after it's been shot a few times and swabed. If the fouled barrel is more on the money, use it for hunting when it's fouled. If it is off and not the same as on a clean barrel then use a clean barrel.
But all of this all boils down to what you sight it in for, if you swab the barrel good after each shot it's still pretty clean so I'd consider it a clean barrel, if you dont swab and shoot it say 5 times or so and sight it in then it's sighted in on a fouled barrel.
If your really worried about it, sight it in, when your dead on load it and save it to go hunting, you know your next shot will be on the money.
(BP)