Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistics Time

Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ballistics Time

In short a friend of mine says he does not want to go muzzleloading for the opener on Saturday here in MO. He just bought a TC Impact ( I have no experience with that gun) and said he bore sighted it in his apartment at 10 yards and adjusted his 3x9x40 scope to hit the mark. He is asking where he should aim at 50 yards and so on. I told him to go and shoot it before saturday and adjust it there to be sure. I asked him what load he thinks he will use and he said 90-100 grains of Loose Pyro, a 250 grain SST. I told him to measure the scope height and that was 1.5". Going to my charts if I am right, the SST has a BC around .287 and the muzzle velocity is around 1780 (guessing with my best gun). If he says he is zereoed in at 10 yards, then I come up with him having to aim high 4.84 inches for 50 yards and 8 inches high at 100 yards. Does this seem right? I told him to zero in at 25 yards and shoot a few groups, then center the scope on the group, then move to 100 yards and do the same and center the scope hairs, then click up about 3" high which should allow him to hit everything in between without doing calculations. I am just furious at him as I am a firm beleiver of getting to know your gun before you go and shoot at a deer and getting your tailored load for the gun you have. I told him to join and put up a post but he is afraid of the comments and scorn.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Your buddy doesn't deserve to be out hunting, without putting in time at the range.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree. Bore sighting just gets it on the paper. He's not even sighted in for 10 yds. Let alone longer distances.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I hear you guys. The others I hunt with are thinking of leaving an hour earlier and leaving him at home to prove a point. I am right there with them. Much dissapointed. If we give the greif we hope he does not come.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I don't think he should go hunting with it without spending some time at the range making sure he knows where his poa and poi are. otherwise he may have a bad hunt . Nothing worse than taking a shot at a deer and missing.
Taking a shot and wounding it and not finding!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

1" high at 50 yards should put him about dead on at 100 and about 2" down at 125. But HE NEEDS TO SHOOT IT TO KNOW.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scorn? Is it scornful to say he is an idiot for thinking he can "bore site" a gun he's never fired and just go hunting with it? I think idiot is rather mild and good-mannered.

Why won't he just go to the range? I understand it is tough to find time during the week, especially with limited daylight. If he can't shoot during the week, at best maybe one of your crew with a couple hours to spare could do the dirty work and site in for him (with him owing someone a HUGE favor). And at worst, he can site it in at the range first thing Sat morning and then meet up with everyone for the afternoon hunt. Or even a late morning hunt.

By the way. Cardinals!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one is going to call him names or anything (at least they shouldn't). But he really does need to shoot the rifle to do a proper sight-in before hunting. You can speculate about ballistics all you want, but without at least a few shots downrange to see where the bullets are actually hitting, it's all a big ??????

Now I have boresighted muzzys and found that I was pretty close at 50 yards, at least close enough to take a deer. But it is not always like that. For example, the first muzzy I bought was laser boresighted by one of the guys at the gunshop I bought it from. First time out on the range, I was hitting like 12" low at 50 yards before I started adjusting. So you really just don't know for sure....
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry OSH, but I think arrogant and disrespectful are actually more fitting to anyone that thinks they can boresite a gun...a muzzleloader no less...at 10 yards and shoot at big game. He's obviously been given a hard time already by his compadres, so to think that he shouldn't listen to the advice given is just arrogant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.