Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
It Does Not Look Good >

It Does Not Look Good

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It Does Not Look Good

Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Well I was never keen on high fence hunting. But Guided hunts do that their place. After all those that do not live in an area, can not do the pre scouting. That is basically what a guide does, among other things. They do the pre scouting, and learn the habits of the animal in question. I've used guides. And worked my behind off, following them mountain goat like guides around. I swear they never get tired.
The problem is those that have a ton of money who come early to do their own scouting will still hire an outfitter. They're rich and lazy. All they want is another rack on the wall.

They follow the guide and do no hunting. The guide finds the animal and sets up the sticks for the hunter. Points to the animal and says. Shoot that one. The hunter shoots, and then takes a picture of the kill. he then leaves the hunt, and the guides do all the work of dressing and getting the meat out. It's sent to the butcher, and then shipped to the hunter.

That's not hunting.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Well I was never keen on high fence hunting. But Guided hunts do that their place. After all those that do not live in an area, can not do the pre scouting. That is basically what a guide does, among other things. They do the pre scouting, and learn the habits of the animal in question. I've used guides. And worked my behind off, following them mountain goat like guides around. I swear they never get tired.
That may be why I have never had the desire to go anywhere else to hunt. To me the scouting and patterning is the hunt. But, to each there own. I may do it for a hog hunt but, do not hold hog hunting as in such high regard as I do whitetail.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never been on a guided hunt or fishing trip. But I do believe they have their place.

Guided fishing in the marsh is a big industry down our way. It's really the only way for someone not from this area to have a productive and safe trip. Most of the locals have no problem with the guides at all. They are mostly good guys and will help you out if you get in trouble, such as "turned around a little" in the marsh, or engine trouble. Many of them have a no fish/no charge policy. I've often flagged down a guide to tell him where I just caught a mess of fish, and what they were biting on.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've never been on a guided hunt or fishing trip. But I do believe they have their place.

Guided fishing in the marsh is a big industry down our way. It's really the only way for someone not from this area to have a productive and safe trip. Most of the locals have no problem with the guides at all. They are mostly good guys and will help you out if you get in trouble, such as "turned around a little" in the marsh, or engine trouble. Many of them have a no fish-no charge policy. I've often flagged down a guide to tell him where I just caught a mess of fish, and what they were biting on.
Don't get me started on the fly fishing guides on the Arkansas River here. All they want is a big tip from their clients, and could care less for us locals trying to fish the same water they seem to think they own.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for ya Semi.......as I sit here writing this it's Raining Sideways outside, the winds are blowing at 40-45mph and it's 55 Degreese out! Usually we have Tons of SNOW and COLD, but not this Season, the whole entire Hunting Season from Mid October untill now has been like this, there's only 5 days left in our Late ML Season.
With any Luck were suppos-to get some Lake Effect Snow on Friday and Saturday, so if we get some Snow and Cold that will be of Great Help to get the Deer Moving, but the Days are running out Fast.
Give it Heck and I Wish You the Best of Luck, Hang in there anything can happen at any time.
(BP)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

my late season opener is saturday
Saturday: Sunshine. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

but the temps are in the 60's right now.

as for guided hunts. I am wanting to do one in fl for hogs with a muzzleloader. only way I can get jess to agree to that. of course she says I should just use the car
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand? Is semi suppose to be having bad weather? I thought he was being sarcastic, because the weather was good?

65-70 degrees, occasional rain for two days, and sunny the next is bad weather? It's the south, not Canada. What do you call good weather?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Muley, our rut is just kicking in. The light rain is no problem at all. But warm weather tends to really cut down on daytime activity. I'd be much happier with daytime highs about ten or fifteen degrees less than what we're getting.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well Muley, our rut is just kicking in. The light rain is no problem at all. But warm weather tends to really cut down on daytime activity. I'd be much happier with daytime highs about ten or fifteen degrees less than what we're getting.

You are spot on here. It was so warm here this year, just about all the rut activity was happening overnight and bedded up during the day. Worst year, as far as seeing deer, in my life. But we did take 5 bucks this year over 140" off of our property. So, it was still productive.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

At least you get to hunt the rut. They don't let us here.

One of the reasons i've given up on the ML season. Early Sept is just too hot. It feels so wrong for me to hunt when it's not cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.