Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jug at 322 yard

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

You still didn't define muzzle loader. What is a true muzzle loader?

Your argument that past inlines are not the same as modern inlines doesn't hold much water either. Neither are modern full bore projectiles, modern side locks, modern flint locks, manufacturing techniques, powders, etc... etc...

What powder, projectile, primer do you use in your "traditional" or "true" muzzle loader?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Swiss, PRB, and a #11 cap.

btw My .270 is open sights. With my eyes I can't shoot it any farther than my ML. Since I'm a still hunter who only hunts in timber. It's does fine.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
First off where i live muzzleloader season is open sights only so that restricts me to a 100 yards. I use my scoped muzzleloader during rifle season.. While some guys are shooting 3 or 4 or 7 hundred yards with their 270 or 300 win mag I shoot out to 250 with a muzzleloader and by next year 300. that is a challenge that i enjoy.

You seem to be confusing Muzzleloader season with primitive weapon season. We live at a time when Muzzleloaders are no longer a primitive weapon. Some states (like PA)still have a primitive season. some have muzzleloader season that they set certain restrictions on. Stick with your 270 and dont worry about trying to categorize muzzleloaders as primitive weapons. those days are over, although i still enjoy my caplock for muzzy season.
I would rather hunt with my Knight and scope during rifle season then a centerfire. If I have a 200 yard shot and someone shoots from 400 and scares it off. well that's the way it works unless you have a place to hunt where you are the only one there.
Long CF shots annoy me more than inlines. Spot and shoot. More sniping than hunting.

I'm not confusing primitive with what we have. Colorado thinks they have a primitive season. Pennsylvania used to have one, but I hear you can use sabots now. Yeah, that's primitive.

My thinking isn't original. Go to a Rendezvous or any BP shoot, and you'll find a bunch who think the same.

Interested in how I feel about food plots and tree stands?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

No. Not particularly. Are you interested in how I feel about intolerant closed minded people? .. ...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
No. Not particularly. Are you interested in how I feel about intolerant closed minded people? .. ...
LOL ! well said!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I realized where I missed the boat on this thread. The volicity of a 44 Mag at the muzzle is about the same as the volicity for Ron's load at 320 yards (according to the chart he posted) so the bullet should open up just fine.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

wow! that looks like .338 territory to me! I wouldn't even know where to begin with a MZ if I was hunting there
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Long CF shots annoy me more than inlines. Spot and shoot. More sniping than hunting.

I'm not confusing primitive with what we have. Colorado thinks they have a primitive season. Pennsylvania used to have one, but I hear you can use sabots now. Yeah, that's primitive.

My thinking isn't original. Go to a Rendezvous or any BP shoot, and you'll find a bunch who think the same.
Must be why we are here at HNI, more tolerant people. Us inline guys don't bash the primitive guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.