Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jug at 322 yard

Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Better performance than a lot of CF guns.

As i've said in the past. Inlines are just another form of a CF gun. Instead of loaded in a case, you load it in the barrel. Same components...same results.

Shouldn't be allowed in a true ML season.
This is where what you are saying, makes no sense.

Other than the primer being inline with the breech your percussion mler is the same. Same components as the case shells but loaded from the breech (same components) Still have rifling.

So is your actual issue with the bullet and sabot because to me the inline and the percussion mler are close enough alike, to be considered the same by me and the ATF.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

CF primer. Blackhorn is smokeless powder detuned. Bullets are CF designed, or pistol CF bullets.

Colorado had a sidelock, black powder, and a PRB in mind when they opened to ML season.

They never wanted a ML to be taking 300yd shots. I'm not guessing at this. I've had long conversations with them.

You can try and justify the performance of inlines all you want, but the spirit of muzzleloader hunting has been lost.

I still have interest in traditional muzzleloaders, and BP shoots, but i've lost it for hunting.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The loads used by Ron & Chet are very capable of taking deer out to 300 yds. it's all about hitting the target and placement.i know plenty of guys that shoot center fire rifles that can't hit the broad side of a barn.for the record States determine what rifles can be used during there M/L seasons, be it inline or traditional.i am not aware of any state that prohibits anyone from using a traditional M/L rifle during there M/L seasons, as long as it meets the minimum caliber requirement designated by that particular state.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tried that. I was working on getting close to an elk with a sidelock and PRB when some clown takes a shot from 200yds away. Of course he missed, and my elk was gone.

We all need to be on the same page, or i'm not going to be there.

If Colorado didn't buckle under to the pressure. Inlines would still be banned.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

CF primer. Blackhorn is smokeless powder detuned. Bullets are CF designed, or pistol CF bullets.

Colorado had a sidelock, black powder, and a PRB in mind when they opened to ML season.

They never wanted a ML to be taking 300yd shots. I'm not guessing at this. I've had long conversations with them.

You can try and justify the performance of inlines all you want, but the spirit of muzzleloader hunting has been lost.

I still have interest in traditional muzzleloaders, and BP shoots, but i've lost it for hunting.
Not all inline users use BH209, Triple seven is just as powerful

Colorado may have one thing in mind but, they are not chaging the law to exclude inlines so, it doesn't matter

Not to many hunters will make these kinda shots at game and again all they have to do is change the law. they know it will cost them money so, they wont.

I don't have to justify it the feds and the state say they are the same class of weapon. good enough for me.

Again it seems you have an issue with bullet and sabot and not the MLer itself. you would have the same kind of range with an inline, if it shot a PRB.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an issue with inlines. I always did, and that's why i'd buy them, and then be miserable and sell them. I have to be true to myself, and i'm so damn old school it's ridiculous. Even to me.

I actually can't bring myself to use a scope on my bolt action .270. Which is silly, but i'm looking into a peep sight for it. Meanwhile i'm using the open sights it came with.

I do my best to not say anything about inlines, but in a thread like this that's talking about taking 300 yd shots at game. My keyboard starts calling to me.

I don't mean to upset anybody, but i'm just a cranky old man with strong opinions. My bad.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

that's 300 yards on a non-moving, orange target without the stress of actually hunting (unless you haven't reached your jug bag limit yet I guess...). He is no doubt a well practiced shooter with a lot of holdover (I'm guessing in four foot range) taken into account... an inline is far from a CF. Even the cutting edge of front stuffers, smokeless guys shooting .40 and .45 bullets sabotless are far from CF shooting. Even the best .50loads are around the hot .45-70 level (300gr@2500fps). The .40 and .45 guys get into standard 30-06 range in weight and speed (200gr@2800fps), but do it with short, fat, low bc bullets by rifle standards and cant do a whole lot better...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shouldn't be allowed in a true ML season.
Define muzzle loader.

Sounds like you have a personal thing against in lines. I suggest that you don't use them. If you want to use a side lock percussion cap ML then by all means do so but those are modern when compared to flint locks.

And then you hve the fact that in line muzzle loading rifles are every bit as traditional as side lock percussion rifles. In lines were first patented in 1808. Your argument and bias holds no water what so ever. Basicaly Muzzle loading has come full circle. So quit whining about what other people use and go enjoy hunting and shooting.

The Dreyse needle gun of 1848.

Last edited by bigbulls; 12-20-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Tried that. I was working on getting close to an elk with a sidelock and PRB when some clown takes a shot from 200yds away. Of course he missed, and my elk was gone.

We all need to be on the same page, or i'm not going to be there.

If Colorado didn't buckle under to the pressure. Inlines would still be banned.

I understand but I am sure there are as many jackwads eith a PRB that would do the same thing. Idiots are not usually defined by their weapon.

You know unless they brought a knife to a gun fight
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Define muzzle loader.

Sounds like you have a personal thing against in lines. I suggest that you don't use them. If you want to use a side lock percussion cap ML then by all means do so but those are modern when compared to flint locks.

And then you hve the fact that in line muzzle loading rifles are every bit as traditional as side lock percussion rifles. In lines were first patented in 1808. Your argument and bias holds no water what so ever. Basicaly Muzzle loading has come full circle. So quit whining about what other people use and go enjoy hunting and shooting.

The Dreyse needle gun of 1848.
I'm well aware of the first no so inlines that are called inline today. Hardly the same gun.

The fact remains that Colorado banned inlines one year, so i'm not the only one who feels this way.

As for the 300yd shots. Ron isn't the only one who's tried them. Most CF guys won't take the shots. Even with only a 6" drop.

I'm going hunting for a few hours. Later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.