Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jug at 322 yard

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deer655
How did your scope cap have all the info on it?..........................

Before the dial was ordered, i filled in the blanks pictured above, with the information about the load. One other piece of information the custom shop wanted was the scope height. That was 1.4". When hunting around here, the elevation will vary from 2500' to 6500'. Temperature normally will be -10 to 80 from the end to the beginning of hunting season.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mack166
..........................did you happen to find the bullet........................
Went back to where the jug was, and looked for the bullet with a metal detector. Before the metal detector was put into service, i saw a glint in the sunshine, and it turned out to be a piece of the jacket of the bullet. Also saw a rusty old tin can. Turned on the metal detector, and searched the area beyond the jug location for about 30 minutes. Found no more bullet. Found many many small buried pieces of tin can.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Great Shot Ron, I also like the fact that you can hear the projectile hitting the jug making the first crack sound, as it does the jug in.

I to am with you Ron, at 320 yards that projectile when fired at your loading, still has the equivalent of energy at the muzzle of a 4" to 6" barreled 44 mag pistol shooting 300 grain bullets. Yes I know this is a .452 projectile not a .430. The buffalo were brought to the edge of extinction at this range and beyond with lesser loads than you are shooting.

Ken

Central NY
Engery is one thing but volicity is another. You have to consider at what volicity is the cut off point where the bullet will not open up and perform the way it was intended too? When the bullet don't upset and open up, that can lead to a long tracking job or a lost animal. Just something to consider because if you shoot a deer with a 44, while the energy may be the same, the volicity of the bullet will be a lot higher at the distance you would shoot with a pistol and more then likely the bullet will open up. Hydrostatic shock is needed for a quick kill.

Just because you can lob a bullet that far doesn't mean you should shoot an animal with it. I'm not saying it couldn't kill an animal, but you are taking a greater risk of just wounding it with the lower volicity and energy.

That is nice shooting Ron. I hope I can bust water jugs at that distance one day with my Omega.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thats what I'm talking about, nice shooting.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
Engery is one thing but volicity is another. You have to consider at what volicity is the cut off point where the bullet will not open up and perform the way it was intended too? When the bullet don't upset and open up, that can lead to a long tracking job or a lost animal. Just something to consider because if you shoot a deer with a 44, while the energy may be the same, the volicity of the bullet will be a lot higher at the distance you would shoot with a pistol and more then likely the bullet will open up. Hydrostatic shock is needed for a quick kill.
Right or wrong, it seems to me the fact i found a piece of the jacket from the bullet shows the bullet was traveling fast enough to 'open up'. Notice the photo of the jug showing how it is split on the back wall. Wasn't it the 'hydrostatic' shock that caused this split?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Right or wrong, it seems to me the fact i found a piece of the jacket from the bullet shows the bullet was traveling fast enough to 'open up'. Notice the photo of the jug showing how it is split on the back wall. Wasn't it the 'hydrostatic' shock that caused this split?

Ron, I saw that and agree that hydrostatic shock caused that split. Where I would be concerned with shooting a big game animal at that distance with a muzzleloader is, is it enough? I agree too that the bullet open up or you wouldn't have found a piece of jacket. The point to my earlier post is you can't go by energy alone. The bullet has to have enough penetration as well as do enough damage. I'm not knocking you or anyone else for wanting to shoot an animal at that distance. I just think there are some considerations that were not mentioned.

There is an episode of Long Range Pursuit where they shot an animal at 500 yards with a muzzleloader. I don't remember what animal. It was impressive but risky. After seeing your post with the video, you oviously can put the bullet where it needs to go. I know I couldn't do that at 320 yards with my muzzleloader.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just something to consider because if you shoot a deer with a 44, while the energy may be the same, the volicity of the bullet will be a lot higher at the distance you would shoot with a pistol and more then likely the bullet will open up.
If you fire a 300 grain bullet out of both firearms and the energy is the same at the impact then the velocity would also have to be the same.

The expansion would be nearly identical between the two bullets. Although the 44 may penetrate a little deeper due to the slightly higher sectional density but the terminal results would be pretty much the same. A dead animal.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hard to believe it was hydrostatic shock.

A .270 loses it at 2400fps.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Better performance than a lot of CF guns.

As i've said in the past. Inlines are just another form of a CF gun. Instead of loaded in a case, you load it in the barrel. Same components...same results.

Shouldn't be allowed in a true ML season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.