Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it >

I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The short answer is no. #1 reason is cost of rifle VS what it would cost to have it tapped.#2 nd reason is you have your heart set on a .45 Accura, save your coin and buy one.3 rd reason, where you live is it really necessary to scope any rifle? 4th reason, you have quite a few rifles to tinker with while your saving your money for the .45 cal Accura..
Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally would not do it.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Oh my... just the thought of a scope going on a sidekick churns my stomach. The thought of one going on my sexy hawkens are not allowed to be typed on this forum.

J/k

At least you are still hunting man. I know the whole eyes aren't what they use to be. My shooting eye gets fuzzier each yr. Sooner or later I will have to start making similar choices. But find it hard to ever give up hunting.

Me personally I would avoid the red dots. If it was my hawkens I would put a nice decent scope on it. However with all the brass on my gun I would look into brass plating or something similar to go along with the color scheme.

Good luck, hope everything goes great.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to go with an peep sight from TOW. really was debating my self. I will hold on to the base, I may run across another deal down the road on another pretapped sidelock. my bad luck with red dots have been, I would hit the switch that turns it on and realizing it, not fun when you go to shot and no power.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Yep. Have done that myself lucky i found out in my backyard practicing. Also red dot would be blurry on target and not as crisp as crosshairs even with 7 brightness settings.

Like I said it beats not hunting. I got a .45 with cheap 3-9 Simmons on it. Night and day in seeing compared to the iron sights. I even altered my hawkens front sight to put a piece of fiberoptic in it to see things better.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is a j.b. holden mount. model CVA scope mount.its a no drill and tap model but probably hard to find. my scoped caplocks were a little funny at first but i dont think about it much. tell me Daniel Boone wouldnt want one
Attached Thumbnails I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it-photo-3.jpg