Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it >

I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have an scope mount for an cva sidelock, just want advice if i should do it

traditional guys I apologize now, just cause of the caliber i am thinking about doing it to. (it is semi and his sinful sisters fault)

I was able to get an base for my octagon cva barrel. I am wanting to put it on my parts built 54cal.

just want to know what yall think. should I do it or should i just leave it along?

if i do it, it is going to be an red dot (which i have not had luck with), 1x scope. or an 4x scope is all I am going to put on it. my of the shots I take is no more the 100yrds. an more ethical kill. I will never sale the rifle, I would not be able to recoup the money I put into it, not counting it took me close to 2 yrs to complete. that is my argument to do.

the counter to that
the money to have it drill and tapped. and what gunsmith in the area will do it.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Corey, I would not advise you one way or the other. IMO putting a scope on a sidelock takes away from its sleek lines and 'feel'. Personally I would not do it. But if your eyes are going bad (like Semi's..) than that may be an option for you.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Corey, I would not advise you one way or the other. IMO putting a scope on a sidelock takes away from its sleek lines and 'feel'. Personally I would not do it. But if your eyes are going bad (like Semi's..) than that may be an option for you.
my eyes are getting worst. been lucky the last few years. has not changed much. find out how much worst my eyes have got by the end of the day. eye appointment.

just playing with the idea. for now.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot closer. When that stops working. Shoot an inline with a scope.

Don't scope a sidelock. Try a peep sight.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I see no reason why not. If that is what you want and it makes you a better shot... then by all means, scope it. Don't ever worry what other people think. Its your gun, and your hunting with it. I have a lot of scoped traditional rifles. And I love them. If someone else don't I would show them the end of the driveway or tell them to close their eyes.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

He sure can, but if asks the question. He'll get our opinions.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am still debating on it myself. see what people think. I am also looking in to an peep sight I saw at TOW.

an very long term idea is to get an tc renegade or hawken and drop an gmb fast twist barrel on. but long term.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by corey012778
I am still debating on it myself. see what people think. I am also looking in to an peep sight I saw at TOW.

an very long term idea is to get an tc renegade or hawken and drop an gmb fast twist barrel on. but long term.
Yes, long term. You need to buy your Accura .45 first. You know you want it.

This much...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

you may not need to tap the barrel. there was a scope base for traditional cva-s that used the dovetail notch for the rear sight. the base went back and shared the tang screw. cant remember who made it. i say throw a scope on. ive done it to my .58 renegade and 54 new englander barrel. you can get removable scope rings but i just use the nipple with the hose attached into a mop bucket to clean the barrel.they sell them for less than 10$ in most of the muzzy stores .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.