Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Good Old Days

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

i thought, displaying your trophy on the hood of your truck was mandatory!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pluckit
You do realize this picture is not far fetched at all. Where I grew up there are deer everywhere. There has been so much development in the area there is no where for the deer to go anymore. I was in the area hunting this year and saw 2 does walking down the sidewalk in broad daylight and stopping to eat what I assume was crab apples that had fallen from a tree onto the side walk. On another occasion three does crossed the road from a wooded area into a housing project. I stopped to be sure no more were crossing and saw another doe with a nice 8 point buck behind her and 2 more does behind him. They also crossed the road into the project. The people I know that live in that area say the deer are seen walking around the housing projects all the time. At first I found it hard to believe until I saw it for myself.
Pretty normal here. I see 30-40 deer everyday in town. Drives my dog nuts.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Before the tree huggers.

WOW......I'm just guessing but I'd say there's somewhere between 1500 to 2000 pounds of meat in that trunk.....lol
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

the good ol days when cars actually had trunk room. My 53 ford mainline had a massive trunk!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of room when you take off the trunk lid.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
the good ol days when cars actually had trunk room. My 53 ford mainline had a massive trunk!
As long as you can get 4 bodies in there, it is just the right size.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple years ago a friend i was hunting with, shot a buck near silverwood lake and had to leave for home shortly after. i helped him load the truck with his camping gear and the deer that was in a bag with the head showing went on top of the load.. knowing him and i loathe California tree huggers, i went to my truck and found a old pair of sun glasses and we taped them over the bucks eyes so he wouldn't be blinded on the ride homehe later to me people were screaming at him on the way home,his reaction was to smile at themthere isn't many things i dislike more on this planet than tree huggers!!

Last edited by builder459; 12-14-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Well I'm sitting out the a.m. hunt here since it is raining & the dog kept me up ALL NIGHT!!

I often reminisce about sights of hunting season here-

First off, you knew there would be quite a few kids absent from school on opening day & it was a valid excuse here.

I also remember pickup trucks full of guys who had just finished a deer drive, quarry in the bed, sitting on the gate & rails driving home-probably enjoying a celebratory Genesee beer.

It was routine to find a hunter, rifle slung over shoulder, walking the road back to his car at dark-you just gave him a ride.

Deer in/on the trunk were a chance to ohh & ahh as they drove by.

I miss these sights, Most of them now would result in a 9-1-1 call.