Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How long do you leave your muzzleloader loaded? >

How long do you leave your muzzleloader loaded?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long do you leave your muzzleloader loaded?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

My muzzleloaders are loaded on a squeaky clean barrel and sometimes remain loaded for months. They always go bang when they're supposed to.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

I load mine at the start of the first muzzleloader season (first of Nov) and leave it loaded until the end of the last muzzleloader seaseon (first Sat. in Jan). Unless I shoot something. Then I clean and reload it. Haven't had any problems so far.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not so much as corrosion, but moisture. It will still fire, but will be weaker. You might never notice a difference.
You're right. but then again neither have any of the deer I shot after having a charge in my flinter for 2 weeks. I don't think our ancestors refreshed their loads every day. And they didn't have the corrosion protection we had, nor were their powders as efficient.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always load on a clean dry barrel then leave the charge in until it's either fired or the season ends. The exception to this is if it's really cold. Then when I bring it in the house I let the gun warm up then push the charge through and run a dry patch and light coat of oil to leave in until I go out again.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You're right. but then again neither have any of the deer I shot after having a charge in my flinter for 2 weeks. I don't think our ancestors refreshed their loads every day. And they didn't have the corrosion protection we had, nor were their powders as efficient.
The also complained about wet powder too.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Loaded My Remington with T 7 Nov 14th 2010 every evening for the next month I parked in the dryest corner of our screen porch every evening then one morning it was raining so I placed some cling wrap over the muzzle with a rubber band. With Christmas barking at my heels at the end of ML season I didn't get around to fire it till Jan 3d 2011. It was Minus 15F and the thing fired just fine shattering the frozen milk jug of water I had sat in front of the back stop.
this year when I have time I will remove the CCI 209 primer, then the breach plug and push the load out to save the bullet and sabot at least.
The flag on the trigger guard is a great idea, Never know when some thing may happen to you and no body knows that rifle on the porch is loaded.

Al
Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You keep your ML primed?

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Loaded My Remington with T 7 Nov 14th 2010 every evening for the next month I parked in the dryest corner of our screen porch every evening then one morning it was raining so I placed some cling wrap over the muzzle with a rubber band. With Christmas barking at my heels at the end of ML season I didn't get around to fire it till Jan 3d 2011. It was Minus 15F and the thing fired just fine shattering the frozen milk jug of water I had sat in front of the back stop.
this year when I have time I will remove the CCI 209 primer, then the breach plug and push the load out to save the bullet and sabot at least.
The flag on the trigger guard is a great idea, Never know when some thing may happen to you and no body knows that rifle on the porch is loaded.

Al
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I always load on a clean dry barrel then leave the charge in until it's either fired or the season ends. The exception to this is if it's really cold. Then when I bring it in the house I let the gun warm up then push the charge through and run a dry patch and light coat of oil to leave in until I go out again.
That is what I do but I NEVER take the gun in the house durning the season, it stays in the truck, in Mn. it gets pretty cool & bringing the cold gun into the warm house is going to cause condensation. never a problem leaving it in the cold. Doc
Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
That is what I do but I NEVER take the gun in the house durning the season, it stays in the truck, in Mn. it gets pretty cool & bringing the cold gun into the warm house is going to cause condensation. never a problem leaving it in the cold. Doc
I think you worry too much, I have Hunted with my MLer in the Rain for days, in the extreme cold -0 and then bring my MLer into my warm truck, home where it's warm and then back into the cold truck untill it warms up, then back out into the -0 temps and back to the cold truck and warmed up then to the warm house back to the cold then warm truck out into the -0 cold again. I never had a problem with condensation, rust or the MLer not firing. I have said this a hundred times, I cover the end of my Barrel with a piece of Masking Tape, this keeps out moisture, rain and snow. If you dont get any of this in your barrel then you wont have any of these problems. I have done this for years, if you keep your barrel uncovered then it's your fault, try what I do and you'll thank me.
(BP)