Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
End of the Season, Last Minute Buck >

End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default End of the Season, Last Minute Buck

After a Exceptionally Warm, Windy, Rainy Season we finally got some Much Needed SNOW on Friday Night. With only 2 Days left of our Regular Gun Season we were really Happy for the arrival of the Snow, I cant remember a Gun Season with No Snow as as Bad as this one has been.
My Wife got a Nice 9pt on Opening Day and I passed on a-lot of Big Does and smaller Bucks, even a Nice 8pt that I should have shot but I wanted one of the Bigger one's that I saw but offered No Shots.
After Opening Day the Deer about Vanished, I was thinking I should have taken a Big Doe or Two that I Passed on, on Opening Day. I did get a Big Doe on the first Wednsday of the Season. The Season went on with Rain, Warm Weather and Wind.
Like I said the Snow did come on Friday Night, on Saturday our Group got 5 Deer, 1 Buck and 4 Does, this left one more Day of our Regular Season. I HUnted this Morning in the Snow and it was Great, I saw some Deer but nothing Close enough. I went home and My Buddy, Me and His Nephew went to His Property that we Hunted on Opening Day where My Wife Connie got Her 9pt with Her MLer. I decided to Hunt My Wife Connie and My Stand that is Made for the Both of us overlooking the Swamp and the Tennesee Gas Pipeline, there was Fresh Tracks everywhere from this Morning.
It was going on almost 4:20 and I was thinking I was'nt going to fill My Buck Tag, there was only about 25 minutes of Legal Hunting time left in our Season, then I saw some Deer Comming...
4 Does came By, all Adult, I still had 2 Doe Tags left and was going to take one of them when I saw other Deer in the distance comming. I saw a Buck comming with other Deer behind Him.
I saw He was'nt the Biggest Buck but I did have anothe Buck Tag for our Late MLer Season that starts tomorrow, he had a few Does trailing Him. I put the Crosshairs on Him when he was Broadside at about 60yds and Mouth Bleated, He stopped. Out of the corner of My eye I saw one of the Big Does was looking at Me and was about to Blow and take all the Deer with Her, it was now or never, I Fired.
After the Smoke Cleared I saw the Does run off but no Buck, I quickly reloaded and got down out of the Stand and went to see what happened.
As I got closer I saw My Buck on the Ground, a Nice Little 5pt, He Dropped on the Spot, I looked at My Cell Phone and it was 4:28pm. There was only about 12 Minutes left of Legal Hunting time to our Season. I waited all Season But No Big Boy this Year, but I still have 9 Days of Late ML Season that starts tomorrow and a Buck Tag and 3 Does Tags left for that so I still have time.
All in all I was Pleased, and I got a last Minute Buck when the Season was'nt the Greatest of Hunting Seasons with our Weather.
I used My ACCURA V1 with a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope and a 240gr XTP Mag with a HHP24 Harvester Sabot and a T7 Primer, the shot was about 60yds.
Pictured is the Buck as I found him with My ACCURA on Him, the next Pic is Me Holding My Cell Phone showing the Time, the next pic is My Buck Field Dressed with My ACCURA and My Lucky CVA Cap, the last pic is the 7 Deer our Group got in the last 2 Days of Hunting Season with SNOW! Oh and a Pic of My Wife Connies and My Tree Stand, you can see Her Empty Seat, Im sitting in Mine taking the Pic.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails End of the Season, Last Minute Buck-dsc00614.jpg   End of the Season, Last Minute Buck-dsc00617.jpg   End of the Season, Last Minute Buck-dsc00620.jpg   End of the Season, Last Minute Buck-dsc00624.jpg   End of the Season, Last Minute Buck-dsc00610.jpg  

Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, BP. I did about the same thing this season, taking a buck with roughly 2 minutes of legal shooting time left in the season. We can only take one buck here in Missouri and I won't shoot a doe in our county until I think the deer herd has recovered well enough - it's almost there, but I'll sit out the muzzy season that starts next weekend.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done and better a bit late than never!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Spike

great hunt!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the buck.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont usually take a small Buck but this Season was TOUGH! Like I said above I did pass on a Nice 8pt that My Buddy shot a few Minutes after I let Him Pass, but if you dont wait untill the end then you never know what could have happened. I'll do My Best to fill My Late ML Season Buck Tag with a Better one.
But our State has different Plans for our Next Hunting Season, I heard there only going to give out 1 Buck Tag and really Limit the Doe Tags. So say you take a Buck during Archery season, then you'll be Done for Gun and Late MLer Season, unless you still have a Doe Tag, that's a Big Change from how it is now.
Now we get a Doe and a Either Sex Tag that you can use for either Archery Season or Late ML Season. We also get a Buck Tag and up to 2 Doe Tags that we can use for our Gun Season. We can also use any of the Doe Tags for Archery Season also and during Late ML Season. Plus if our Regular Season Buck Tag goes Unfilled we can use that for our Late ML Season along with any Unfilled Doe Tags. Along with that we can also have up to 2 other Doe Tags Transferred to us from other Hunters. So say we get our Regular Season Buck Tag plus 2 Doe Tags, then we get our Late ML or Archery Season Tags that are for Either Sex and a Doe Tag, plus if we get 2 Doe Tags Transferred to us, alltogeather we can have 2 Buck Tags and 5 Doe Tags. If they change it we may end up with just 1 Buck Tag and 1 Doe Tag.
So I figured I better Fill some Tags this Season because you never know what'll happen Next Season.
(BP)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good to see you didn't leave.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Guy's do me a Favor. I noticed that if you click on the Picture attachment the Picture will show up, then if you click on it again it'll show up again seperate, then if you click on it again it'll enlarge it, does it do it for you's this way also? Thank's!
(BP)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Good to see you didn't leave.
Thank's Muley! I'd be Lost without all of You Guy's
(BP)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, but the second click makes it too big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.