Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Scope Question : I'm new to the game...be gentle! >

Scope Question : I'm new to the game...be gentle!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Question : I'm new to the game...be gentle!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

Question Scope Question : I'm new to the game...be gentle!

A couple years ago I posted that I am a bow hunter only and I have toyed with the idea of buying a ML. Each year I talk myself out of it.

Well, I couldn't pass up the deal on a CVA Electra this year. Read so many good reviews on them for the price. Also read all the skepticism/negatives.

Fact is, I'm going to give the Electra a shot. (No pun intended)

My question is about the scope and the rings and bases.

One scope in specific, the Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 3-9x-40mm BDC reticle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/944...-reticle-matte

I can get this for a $75 trade of hunting equipment +$55 cash.

Is this a good deal? More importantly, is this a good choice for a scope to top the Electra? Which rings and bases should I use?

I see the BDC reticle has a drop for 100, 200, 300 so could I make this work with a ML? Use the spaces in-between the recticle for the 150 yard shot? Would this work or should I choose a different scope?

Please let me know. Thanks for the patience.

Remember, I'm a ML newbie.

Last edited by nstrut; 12-10-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

The Nikon Pro Staff is a great scope. I have them on several rifles. Personally, I use the 2—7x32mm model without the bdc. I just find it meets my needs. The pro staff is a great scope. It has excellent eye relief and some of the best glass I have used. As for the bases you need, I can't comment. Keep us posted about how well the rifle shoots. I have thought about getting one. Although they are not legal in our muzzle loader season. I personally think it would be great to own.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Spike

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cayugad
The Nikon Pro Staff is a great scope. I have them on several rifles. Personally, I use the 2—7x32mm model without the bdc. I just find it meets my needs. The pro staff is a great scope. It has excellent eye relief and some of the best glass I have used. As for the bases you need, I can't comment. Keep us posted about how well the rifle shoots. I have thought about getting one. Although they are not legal in our muzzle loader season. I personally think it would be great to own.
I see the BDC reticle has a drop for 100, 200, 300 so could I make this work with a ML? Use the spaces in-between the recticle for the 150 yard shot? Would this work?

What do you think of the deal? A good one?

Thanks for the info.

-NSTRUT
Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

No matter what you read. Forget about 300yds.

You'll have to work out a load the gun likes, and then check out how the reticle works out at the range. Don't assume the the lines will be accurate.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No matter what you read. Forget about 300yds.

You'll have to work out a load the gun likes, and then check out how the reticle works out at the range. Don't assume the the lines will be accurate.
X2

I thought everyone had 300 yard bang flop muzzy kills
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.......................Forget about 300yds.....................................
No. A deer at 300 yard is in my future.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

If the lines mean different distances, don't worry about that. The trick is, find out where the rifle hits at those lines. Say for instance instead of 150, 200, and 250 lines ... say you try that and it hits at 138, 189, and 220.. for instance. You can still use that information when you shoot long distances as long as you remember the lines. Deer seldom walk out at 200 yards exactly and stand there. So don't worry so much about the lines.

News that scope sells for $149.99 I think. You decide if that is a good price for a used scope. I think it is a little high.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
No. A deer at 300 yard is in my future.

Me too, but i'll be using a .270.

I'll be going out the next couple of days. I still have the private land tag I never used.

btw..I've seen your 200yd targets. What does your 300yd targets look like?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i use a muzzle loader for the rifle in our rifle seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.