Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Busted

Old 12-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Busted

I got busted by a sneaky, and a bit too early arriving deer this morning. I will admit thought that it's not hard for a deer to sneak up on me with my hearing. I was sitting with my 50 cal. Pursuit where I shot the 2 does during the early muzzle loader season, waiting for the legal shooting time at 6:36 am. That's 1/2 hour before sunrise. At 6:22 am, with barely enough lite to see it, I looked to my right and saw the brown silhouette of a deer moving from my right to left about 40 or less yards away. It must have seen me first because by the time I saw it, it was moving at a fast pace and never stopped. Not even as it was snorting and wheezing. Oh well, I haven't seen a deer in days, at least I got to see one today. Although not well enough to tell if it was a buck or a doe. I think I'll take the shotgun and try to shoot some squirrels this evening. They are running everywhere at the farm. I got an electric smoker a couple of years ago from Bass Pro Shop and haven't used it yet. Maybe some smoked squirrel would be good. I'll stick a couple of slugs in my pocket just in case. It always seems that when you're deer hunting you see squirrels, and when you're squirrel hunting you see deer.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me know if you find a way to enjoy squirrel. I just fry up the legs like chicken but they are always too tough and not very pleasant.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Let me know if you find a way to enjoy squirrel. I just fry up the legs like chicken but they are always too tough and not very pleasant.
If by not very pleasent, you mean gamey. Soaked in salt water overnight.

The trick to frying squirrel is to simmer in a skillet with a lid. Cooking on a low heat until tender, usually about 30-40 minutes. Most peaople make the mistake of frying on too high of heat, that will make them tough. By simmering it will make it tender, just like a crock pot will.

Another way i like it is in a crock pot with noodles.

It is also great as well as rabbits to simmer fry and then make gravy, just like you would sausage gravy for breakfast. After you have made the gravy, put the fried squirrel back in and simmer for about 15minutes, while the biscuits are cooking. mmmmmm mmmmm good!!!!!

Now i am hungry!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always boil mine for at least 1 hour first to tenderize them.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

AAaaaahhhh. Yes, I've been cooking too quickly. And I have always soaked in either eggs or a brine before cooking. The slow fry and return to gravy with biscuits sounds delicious.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I soak them in a water and salt solution over night to draw out the blood. But I always parboil squirrels and rabbits for no less than 1 hour to tenderize them before frying or stewing, or whatever way I intend to cook them.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
I soak them in a water and salt solution over night to draw out the blood. But I always parboil squirrels and rabbits for no less than 1 hour to tenderize them before frying or stewing, or whatever way I intend to cook them.
1 hour? Wow, that seems like a long time but I may have to try it. Last year I went after squirrels several times and got a few each time. It had been years since I hunted them and I forgot how much fun they are to hunt. I cooked one for myself when my wife was out of town it was excellent. I par boiled it for maybe 10 minutes and then pan fried it to finish it off.

Not long ago I got more out of the freezer and cooked them the same way. They were tough as shoe leather. I guess I got lucky the first time but I really need to figure out how to cook them right because I am going back after them as soon as deer season ends.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Soup

I'll par boil a couple of squirrels for about 15 minutes or so, then cut the meat into very small pieces for making a soup. I strain the water from par boiling it and to use as a base for the broth.
While cutting the meat into very small pieces, I separate any tough membrane that surround the individual muscles. It takes some time to complete but is easy enough to do with a sharp knife.
Add chopped carrots, onions, barley, seasoning, plus whatever else you happen to like in a soup and have on hand.
The squirrel meat stays very tender and is difficult to distinguish as being from a game animal.
Soup is also easy to refrigerate for saving as a leftover.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.