Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I missed a coyote tonight! >

I missed a coyote tonight!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I missed a coyote tonight!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Unhappy I missed a coyote tonight!

I came home from work at 4:30 pm this evening, changed clothes, grabbed my wife's TC Encore and headed to the blind in the field. I was there about 30 minutes when I looked out and saw a coyote facing me at about 45 yards. I know what your thinking, 45 yards should be a gimme. Unfortunately it was not.

When the smoke cleared, there was not coyote there. It was down hill just over a knoll so I figured it was laying there just out of sight. Headed down and still no coyote. I knew it was a clean miss because if I had hit it, it would have run out of there screaming. I gave a quick look for blood and hair and walked into the woods to make sure it wasn't laying there, but found no sign I hit it.

I love the gun but may have to get rid of it as it now has 3 misses and no hits. My wife, who just started deer hunting last year, has missed 2 deer with it, one each year. Now I missed a coyote. It shoots great at the range, but somehow can't get it together in the field.

I should have had my .30-06 which has scored a running coyote and many deer or my Knight Revolution which has scored a couple deer. I am more use to shooting them. If I was being honest with myself, and who really wants to do that, I would have to admit I rushed the shot in my excitement of seeing a coyote.

Not to blame the gun, but I do need to get the trigger lightened on it and my Knight. Both break pretty cleanly but are a little stiff. My Knight, I think, is adjustable but I will have to get a kit from Belm to do the Encore.

Last edited by ADVWannabee; 12-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if it hits good on the range, I see no reason why it is not doing the same in the field. But then paper targets don't move. And when that smoke covers your vision, you're not really sure what happened as the hammer fell.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting coyotes with a muzzleloader is fun.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Well put Falcon, love the understatement....
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I came home from work at 4:30 pm this evening, changed clothes, grabbed my wife's TC Encore and headed to the blind in the field. I was there about 30 minutes when I looked out and saw a coyote facing me at about 45 yards. I know what your thinking, 45 yards should be a gimme. Unfortunately it was not.

When the smoke cleared, there was not coyote there. It was down hill just over a knoll so I figured it was laying there just out of sight. Headed down and still no coyote. I knew it was a clean miss because if I had hit it, it would have run out of there screaming. I gave a quick look for blood and hair and walked into the woods to make sure it wasn't laying there, but found no sign I hit it.

I love the gun but may have to get rid of it as it now has 3 misses and no hits. My wife, who just started deer hunting last year, has missed 2 deer with it, one each year. Now I missed a coyote. It shoots great at the range, but somehow can't get it together in the field.

I should have had my .30-06 which has scored a running coyote and many deer or my Knight Revolution which has scored a couple deer. I am more use to shooting them. If I was being honest with myself, and who really wants to do that, I would have to admit I rushed the shot in my excitement of seeing a coyote.

Not to blame the gun, but I do need to get the trigger lightened on it and my Knight. Both break pretty cleanly but are a little stiff. My Knight, I think, is adjustable but I will have to get a kit from Belm to do the Encore.
ADV, You know, this goes against scientific logic, but I say sell the damn gun.

I'm not normally superstitious, but when it comes to my hunting tools, I have started to become this way. For example, I have an old CVA that has a lot of faults, and to others wouldn't look like much. But I swear, every single time I point it at an animal and pull the trigger, I get a kill. Even shots that I probably should have missed, I have hit with this rifle.

On the flip side, I have a crossbow that has been cursed by Lucifer himself. This crossbow shoots great on the range, and has no major issues. Well, other than the fact that after many, many seasons it has yet to take a deer. I have borrowed other people's bows and taken deer with their bows no problem, but this crossbow is cursed, I'm convinced. With other weapons, I don't seem to have problems- but with this one, I've misjudged range, shot over, under deer. Hit deer but never found them.... the list goes on. Almost made me give up bow hunting....

So I say, sell it! Sell it and buy something that hasn't been cursed
Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you have it in Your Mind that it's the Mlers Fault it's all over, every time you go to shoot it you wont have any confidence in it and you'll shoot it like crap, I say Sell It Too, It has a Curse on it
In all Seriousness I'd still Sell it weather it has a Curse on it or Not, if your Not Confident in it you'll never be. When I go Hunting I have a 1000% Confidence Level that when I Pull the Trigger and if Im on where I should be I'll make the Shot. The thing I worry about when I go Hunting is not making the Shot but Getting the Shot.
But there are things called Coyote Fever and Buck Fever, it happens to the Best of Us Sometimes.
(BP)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I got another yote today but this one was a mangy sucker. His tail looked like a rat tail ( see last photo)and even the rear haunches were quite naked. maybe you will get another chance at him . You sure educated him good though

That's a MANGY Looking MUTT! You did Him a Favor! The Only Good Coyote is a Dead Coyote!
(BP)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon
Shooting coyotes with a bow, muzzleloader, high powered rifle etc are all fun! Can't shoot enough of these in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
In all Seriousness I'd still Sell it weather it has a Curse on it or Not, if your Not Confident in it you'll never be. When I go Hunting I have a 1000% Confidence Level that when I Pull the Trigger and if Im on where I should be I'll make the Shot. The thing I worry about when I go Hunting is not making the Shot but Getting the Shot.
(BP)
This is exactly how I feel with my Browning BAR .30-06. I absolutely love that gun. I have hit deer and a coyote running, trotting, standing still, etc. I have a deal with that gun, I point Mr. Browning at a deer and he knocks them down. Like you said, I worry about getting the shot, not making it.

Now I am trying to get that confidence with my Knight Revolution blackpowder rifle. Got my 2nd deer with it this season and first since I scoped it. It shoots very well and will put shots touching at 100 yards. So I am gaining confidence in it.

But this was the first time out with the Encore. My wife has missed two deer, but she is a new hunter and is rushing the shot. I will give the Encore a little more time as I am sure it is not the gun. I know I rushed my shot at the coyote but still, I feel like that would be a dead dog if I had my .30-06. Anyway, I need to lighten the trigger on both my blackpowder rifles and that will go a long way to making sure the gun goes off where I am aiming and I don't jerk the shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.