Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Forgive me, for I am about to sin... >

Forgive me, for I am about to sin...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Forgive me, for I am about to sin...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Forgive me, for I am about to sin...

I don’t know why, but I have been having a hankerin’ lately to use my CF rifle on a hunt. I am going hunting either tomorrow or Saturday afternoon (hopefully both), and feel I may be tempted beyond what I can bear to take it. It was the rifle I first used 3 years ago when I learned to hunt, and had my first 3 kills with it. The last time I hunted with it was two season ago on an overnight trip in the mountains, but it has been on my mind a lot lately.

What I bet will make it even more sinful to some of you, is that it is a semi-automatic. Yep, fathered by the M1 Garand in the 1950s, it is the M14. I just won’t be sporting the 20-round magazine as pictured below. But you won’t see me blasting off multiple rounds at a buck, simply because I can. Just because this CF rifle has more firepower than a muzzleloader doesn’t mean I don’t think that the one shot, one kill principle doesn’t still apply.

So, to my Team 1 compadres, if I kill a monster tomorrow, hopefully Chet’s 8,000 points will be enough to cover us. But maybe the committee will permit the points if I only use one bullet. After all, I feel a greater advantage using the Omega since it is scoped and the M14 is not.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

The only deer I have on the ground this year fell to my 7x57 mauser. Sin away!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I brought my Browning B-78 25-06 to the lease last weekend and shot three rounds on the range to check the scope (1/2" center to center at 100 yards). But it sat in the camp while I carried my Omega X7 to the stand. But I was tempted. Really tempted.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

if it makes you happy... aim true and bring home the venison.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

I know the feeling. I wanted badly to get a deer last year with my newly scoped Knight Revolution. The one day I took the .30-06 to the blind I got my only deer of the season. So this year I am trying to stick with the BP guns. But had I had my .30-06 tonight, I most likely would have a coyote on the ground. Instead I missed with my wife's TC Encore which I don't shoot much. Oh well, you gotta use what you feel like using so I say go for it.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Hunt Only with a MLer through our Gun Season, and this year for the first time we can use a Rifle in our County during our Gun Season. All My Buddies were so Excited that they could use there Rifles they just about had a Stroke! They really Razzed me and said I was really foolish now for not using a Rifle, they said you were stupid for not using a Rifle for when we could use a Shotgun, but now you've lost your mind for using a MLer when we can use a Rifle.....They all used Rifles for our Gun Season, I used My Mler...My Wife and I are even with the Rifle Hunters so far in our Group, they did'nt Kill anymore Deer with there Rifles than with there Shotguns or Me with My 1 Shot Mler.
Most Deer are shot at 75 yds and under, and if you think that just because you can shoot further you'll have a better advantage and get more deer, your wrong, well all My Buddies were proven wrong anyways. If your a Good Hunter a Mler is all you need for Hunting.
(BP)
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet – LOL…I know. It IS premeditated! But I haven’t done it yet, but both guns are in the car. I may pull a Semi and grab the Omega at the last second.

ADV
– I had two ML kills last season and one so far this season, so maybe I’d regret it if I didn’t get one with the rifle this year. Who knows. And maybe I’ll get one with the rifle and still regret it…who knows! LOL

BP
– You are funny…and a bit full of yourself! I just have an itch to use my CF rifle…that’s all! And if you would have actually read my post, you would have realized that 1) I haven’t hunted with a rifle in a couple of years 2) I feel that using the rifle is actually a bit of a disadvantage since my ML is scoped and the rifle is not, and 3) I still believe in one shot, one kill, regardless of the firearm!!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet - I know exactly what you mean. Though I hope I don't! And, I should mention, that is a picture of a real M14 (you can see the full auto switch on the receiver directly above the trigger). Mine has the shorter, 18" barrel and a fiberglass stock. I like the full-sized with wood stock better, but for the purpose of this rifle (which you well guessed), the short barrel and fiberglass stock is better suited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.