Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Scorpion PT 300 Performance Report >

Scorpion PT 300 Performance Report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scorpion PT 300 Performance Report

Old 11-24-2014, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go on the deer. Based on your report and several others I've decided to switch from Hornady's 300 gr SST to the 300 gr PT Gold. They have always produced great groups in my Knight LRH and MH but I wasn't sure how they would perform on game. I had a few bullet tips pull out when loading when I first started with muzzleloading. I know now I was using the wrong loader tip. I'm going to give them a good workout at our Texas lease Thanksgiving. I'll be using 110 gr of BH 209, the black CR sabot and a Federal 209A primer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Spike

They are a great bullet, very accurate and VERY deadly on deer and a coyotes every now and then, from 35 yards out to 250 yards, The farthes a deer went that I shot with the 300 gr was 23 yards, otherwise they stayed where they were shot. Have not been able to recover any of the bullets, they have all been pass thrus. 110 gr BH 209, Harvester smooth black sabots, Winchester W209 primers, Accura V2, or Remington Genisis.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Killed my 1st whitetail with the Harvester 300gr PT Gold on Monday in W Texas. Nice 12pt with a lot of odd points. Quartering shot at 100 yds. Complete pass through from right front shoulder to left hindquarter; decent blood trail and massive internal damage. Deer made 20 yds. Used my Knight Master Hunter,110 gr. BH 209, Black Crush rib sabot and Federal 209A primer. It's been my best load at the range. I'm impressed and will continue to use this load the rest of the season. We have a lot of hogs on the lease and our wildlife biologist wants us to take 40 bucks and 40 does this season.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

this thread was originally posted December 2011
Old 12-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pooldoc
Killed my 1st whitetail with the Harvester 300gr PT Gold on Monday in W Texas. Nice 12pt with a lot of odd points. Quartering shot at 100 yds. Complete pass through from right front shoulder to left hindquarter; decent blood trail and massive internal damage. Deer made 20 yds. Used my Knight Master Hunter,110 gr. BH 209, Black Crush rib sabot and Federal 209A primer. It's been my best load at the range. I'm impressed and will continue to use this load the rest of the season. We have a lot of hogs on the lease and our wildlife biologist wants us to take 40 bucks and 40 does this season.
Got any pics?

40/40, wow....you must have a big lease.

Originally Posted by d.winsor
this thread was originally posted December 2011
Yeah, that seems to be the norm lately. People bumping really old threads. Especially on their first post.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'll sit down this weekend and try to figure out how to post pictures and load them up.