HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Neck shot or vitals (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354802-neck-shot-vitals.html)

mountaineer magic 12-04-2011 10:49 AM

Neck shot or vitals

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

dirt1008 12-04-2011 10:52 AM

I try and always shoot the vitals. I have shot one in the neck, that's all tht was given, and it dropped in its tracks.

Boonechaser 12-04-2011 11:09 AM

I may be different than most but, I will only shoot at a deer, if it offers a ethical shot that will put the animal down humaely. I have passed many of large bucks because of this and have never regretted it.

I can also say honestly, I have never not found a deer I have shot. Nothing gets me upset more than a guy talking about not finding a deer and then say he took a neck shot or hard quartering towards. Even worse coming straight at him or straight away. If people would not take such unethical shots maybe they would find what they shot. We owe it to the game we hunt, to make the most humane shot possible. If all you have is a nech shot, to me you have no shot.

dirt1008 12-04-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3885134)
I may be different than most but, I will only shoot at a deer, if it offers a ethical shot that will put the animal down humaely. I have passed many of large bucks because of this and have never regretted it.

I can also say honestly, I have never not found a deer I have shot. Nothing gets me upset more than a guy talking about not finding a deer and then say he took a neck shot or hard quartering towards. Even worse coming straight at him or straight away. If people would not take such unethical shots maybe they would find what they shot. We owe it to the game we hunt, to make the most humane shot possible. If all you have is a nech shot, to me you have no shot.

I totally agree about taking an ethical shot. The buck I shot in the neck was really close and it's was very far back in the neck. I was really confident my .300 weatherby mag would drop him.

MountainDevil54 12-04-2011 11:23 AM

Vitals.

My nephew shot a muley on the last day of his hunt just last sunday with his dads .270 they found a chuck of meat hanging in a tree and no blood trail or dead deer to be found.

Muley Hunter 12-04-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic (Post 3885130)
I realize that there are times or situations where only a neck shot or a hard quartering shot is available.

Those are the times that you have no shot.

Double lung or nothing for me.

sabotloader 12-04-2011 12:05 PM

mountaineer magic

I really prefer the shot to vitals... but if the range is right and conditions are correct and the neck is what offered... that is where the bullet will go, but for myself that is a very low percentage of the time that I might take that shot.

JW 12-04-2011 12:11 PM

I have passed on some real trophies - vital broadside area only. It was how I was taught.......

JW

cayugad 12-04-2011 12:31 PM

It depends on the range. If its close like where I hunt, and all I have us a good full neck view,well.. I had shot a lot of deer in the neck. BUT if there is any question to the shot then a vitals is where it goes.

nchawkeye 12-04-2011 12:58 PM

Usually take lung or high lung shots but if I have my .243 in my hands and a deer is within 50 yards and a neck shot is presented then it puts them down every time...Looking straight at me, I aim just below the throat patch, quartering to, lower neck angled behind the opposite shoulder...

Nothing unethical about taking a shot you know you can make, heck I've killed hundreds of squirrels at these ranges with head shots...

I've killed a couple of hundred deer with that .243...I know what it can do and what I can do...