Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I will brag on the SST this time >

I will brag on the SST this time

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I will brag on the SST this time

Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default I will brag on the SST this time

I shot a doe with my little boy this morning. This is the first deer kill he's been in on. We've been trying with no luck. I'd saved this spot for a while though, and we got a blind brushed in a week ago to hide his 6 year old fidgeting. We saw her and two others come in. I swapped seats with Zach so he could see them out the side window, and he told me when she'd be walking around to my window side. She was quartering towards us a bit at 40y. I put it in her right shoulder and it came out towards the rear of her opposite rib cage. There was a blood splatter where she was standing when hit. My 6 yr old followed the solid blood path about 100 to the doe. I will put the blood trail video link up when it gets uploaded.

Gotta give the 250 SST thumbs up this time.

rw
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats hunt12ga. That's a great picture and a memory that will last a lifetime!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

That picture says it all don't it. He looks like one happy hunter. How many grains of powder were you shooting? What kind of muzzleloader were you shooting? Congratulations on making some fine eating there.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the kill!! I know the feeling a dad gets when he has his kids on their first kill.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt 12ga, Congratulations on the fine doe. I have been trying to figure out why some people have problems with SST,and Shock Waves although I have never seen a complaint on Bonded Shock Waves which is what I use most. Would you please put you load and powder on
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Am betting it was quite fun to have the youngster track your deer.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Optima Elite .50
90gr BH209
250gr SST
SST primer
Ron Laughling BP

It was great. I kept telling him that if we kept after it we could make it happen. Seeing how excited he was made it better than if I would have shot a B&C on my own. I have some videos to post, but they are on my phone and I'm having trouble trying to get them on here. I'll keep working on it!
rw
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default the videos

Here are some YouTube links from after the shot. He wanted to do after-the-shot commentary. The other is his blood trailing. I apologize for the quality, but it was filmed on my phone. Enjoy.
commentary by Zachary
Zach blood trailing
rw
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Very awesome videos. My "bloodhound's" only two but this makes me very excited to take her hunting.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer but the little guy stoled the show.