Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Smooth loading bore >

Smooth loading bore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smooth loading bore

Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Smooth loading bore

I have a question for you guy's.

My friend bought the same T/C Omega I have. And when we load his gun it is smooth as as a babys butt. The whole stroke from end to breech is like glass. But my Omega, which is two years old does not load that way with same ammo.

When I load mine it is like this...Smooth then sticks hard, then smooth then sticks hard and then gets real tough for the last 6 inches.

Like a roller coaster effect, my sabots all load this way. I have used just about every kind of sabot and they are tight as a nats butt over a basketball.

Why would mine do that?

Also, right out of the box his gun is shooting BH 209 at 150 yards with a 2" group. None of us can believe what we are seeing.

Did he just get a beauty (lucky) or is my gun just not as good in quality, even though it is the same make.

D

Last edited by Doug100g; 12-02-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
I have a question for you guy's.

My friend bought the same T/C Omega I have. And when we load his gun it is smooth as as a babys butt. The whole stroke from end to breech is like glass. But my Omega, which is two years old does not load that way with same ammo.

When I load mine it is like this...Smooth then sticks hard, then smooth then sticks hard and then gets real tough for the last 6 inches.

Like a roller coaster effect, my sabots all load this way. I have used just about every kind of sabot and they are tight as a nats butt over a basketball.

Why would mine do that?

Also, right out of the box his gun is shooting BH 209 at 150 yards with a 2" group. None of us can believe what we are seeing.

Did he just get a beauty (lucky) or is my gun just not as good in quality, even though it is the same make.

D
50-100 strokes of JB/oil down your barrel. will make all the difference in the world.use a bore guide, tight patch and even strokes..
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

What s bore guide? Forgive me but do you have a link to help walk me through the process?

D
Old 12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sound like you need to polish your bore.
Try 100 full length strokes with a tight patch with a coat of JB Bore paste on the patch when I do it I add bore paste every 5 strokes. Then you need to scrub out all the bore paste and oil it.
One of the alternatives is fire lapping. To do that you take some valve grinding compound and put it on a ticking patch smear it around well load it in a regular PRB configuration and shot it after 50 of this combination clean the barrel and see how it loads . You may have to do more.
The other two alternatives are sending it back to TC with a complaint and they will lead lap it or lead lapping it your self.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

In NO Way Am I putting down TC Barrels, but from the one's I have Loaded and Shot there seems to be Consistant Barrel Diameter to TC Barrels, there all Different, or Not as close to others as they should be, some are too tight, others are too lose. Some load and shoot one Bullett and Sabot good while others shoot the same Bullett and Sabot Tight and not so good.
I'd do the JB Bore Paste to try and smooth it out, there's not much more to do than that execpt to keep shooting it and hoping it finally Breaks in.
And In NO Way am I Pushing My ACCURA's Bergara Barrel, but all 3 of the one's I have Load as Smooth as Silk. Not too smooth but nice and even. I do however run a Patch of Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner down the Barrel aftre Cleaning, followed by a Dry Patch, then Load. The inside of the Barrel has a Mirror Finish and it's ease of Loading and consistant Bore Diameter is all because of Bergara's 5 step Barrel making Process. Im not going to get into all 5 steps Bergara does to make there Barrels but most other ML Barrel's only use a 3 Step Process.
I've said it many times, if TC used a Bergara Barrel, especially a SS Barrel on there MLers, I'd Own One. It might not be My favorite but It could be.
(BP)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever used 777 in your gun???

Sounds like you have a crud ring which needs to be polished out as mentioned...
Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

The JB bore paste would be my recommended path. I use the stuff all the time. It is really made a difference in my rifles. Lapping the barrel would be a last resort. I have a black diamond that is smooth as you describe, and it shoots anything very well.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I will try the JB bore paste. Went to Wally World and they did not have it. Neither did Gander or my local Ace.

Guess I need to find it online.

D
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Lyman GPR .54 flintlock is something like that as well. It tightens up about 4" in but once I'm in about 7" it smooths right out.

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.