Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight vision no go bang bang >

Knight vision no go bang bang

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight vision no go bang bang

Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight vision no go bang bang

Hey guys, looking for a little help here. I got a Knight Vision this past fall and was looking forward to hunting with it this year. In October I sighted it in, putting about 20 shots or so through it. Everything worked fine, no problems, accuracy was very good, so I was ready to hunt or so I thought.

I come back to hunt this week, pull the rifle out of the safe and go to fire a couple shot just to make sure I'm still zeroed. I put a primer in to pop off, as I usually do before I shoot but all I get is a "click". It sounds like the firing pin came forward, but no dent on the primer. So I re-c0cked the gun and it did the same thing.

Basically, I kept trying but nothing would happen. One of the primers had a very slight dent in it from the firing pin, but did not go off. I needed to get out hunting, so I did not have time to figure the problem out, so I took my backup rifle.

More info, after the range session in October I only cleaned the barrel and breech plug. There was no, and I mean absolutely no blowback into the firing pin area.

So I did not think it was necessary to completely disassemble the gun for a full cleaning. After cleaning the barrel and BP, the gun went into the safe, stored muzzle down, so nothing could ooze back down into the breech area.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I'm probably just going to send it back to Knight.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I wish I could help you. Your rifle always interested me. So much so that I have regretted not buying a vision when I saw them on sale at Sportsman Guide. Your rifle has no secondary safety I am guessing. As for why the firing pin is not coming forward, I can only guess. I would clean the trigger assembly and see if that helps. All else fails, give knight a call and ask them.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
Hey guys, looking for a little help here. I got a Knight Vision this past fall and was looking forward to hunting with it this year. In October I sighted it in, putting about 20 shots or so through it. Everything worked fine, no problems, accuracy was very good, so I was ready to hunt or so I thought.

I come back to hunt this week, pull the rifle out of the safe and go to fire a couple shot just to make sure I'm still zeroed. I put a primer in to pop off, as I usually do before I shoot but all I get is a "click". It sounds like the firing pin came forward, but no dent on the primer. So I re-c0cked the gun and it did the same thing.

Basically, I kept trying but nothing would happen. One of the primers had a very slight dent in it from the firing pin, but did not go off. I needed to get out hunting, so I did not have time to figure the problem out, so I took my backup rifle.

More info, after the range session in October I only cleaned the barrel and breech plug. There was no, and I mean absolutely no blowback into the firing pin area.

So I did not think it was necessary to completely disassemble the gun for a full cleaning. After cleaning the barrel and BP, the gun went into the safe, stored muzzle down, so nothing could ooze back down into the breech area.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I'm probably just going to send it back to Knight.
I probably no what might be wrong and it is not very serious at all but you probably will have to send it to Knight or a gun smith.

Try this... try shooting primers again only this time when you close the gun - snap it shout hard. If it goes off then I might be able to show you or explain the problem.

Basically if I remember correctly.. the part at the bottom of the action that slides over the top of the lug on the barrel is not going up the lug far enough the trigger safety bar does not allow the hammer to hit the firing pin... it thinks it is not locked up tight so it will not allow the hammer to fall completely...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of these type guns are sensitive to a dirty firing pin, have you cleaned yours?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I probably no what might be wrong and it is not very serious at all but you probably will have to send it to Knight or a gun smith.

Try this... try shooting primers again only this time when you close the gun - snap it shout hard. If it goes off then I might be able to show you or explain the problem.

Basically if I remember correctly.. the part at the bottom of the action that slides over the top of the lug on the barrel is not going up the lug far enough the trigger safety bar does not allow the hammer to hit the firing pin... it thinks it is not locked up tight so it will not allow the hammer to fall completely...
I think sabotloader is on the right track here. I remember hearing about this problem on the some of the early model Visions, I dont know what Knight did to correct the problem, but I would listen to what sabotloader is saying on this one.

Last edited by quake; 12-03-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a Pinch but then your accuracy might fail,,,,,,try a Primer that is a little Longer than the one your using now.
(BP)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
primer chart.jpg (19.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

t
Originally Posted by sabotloader

Thanks for the advice! You know, I did try that, also thinking that maybe the action was not locked tight. It's possible I still wasn't snapping it shut hard enough. I will try this a few more times to see if I can get it to fire. I did try several different types of primers (Win W209, Kleenbore, Federal 209A, T7). On one of the primers (i forget which one) there was a very slight dent that looked like it had been made by the firing pin.

I'll try a few more times and if it doesn't work, send it to Knight for repair. Man, I was really bummed out- I instantly liked this rifle when I shot it, and it should have been in my hands this week when I got my deer
Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
t

Thanks for the advice! You know, I did try that, also thinking that maybe the action was not locked tight. It's possible I still wasn't snapping it shut hard enough. I will try this a few more times to see if I can get it to fire. I did try several different types of primers (Win W209, Kleenbore, Federal 209A, T7). On one of the primers (i forget which one) there was a very slight dent that looked like it had been made by the firing pin.

I'll try a few more times and if it doesn't work, send it to Knight for repair. Man, I was really bummed out- I instantly liked this rifle when I shot it, and it should have been in my hands this week when I got my deer
If I still had the gun I could show you with pictures what you possible could do and it really does not take much - just a bit of polishing to remove just a tad of metal..