Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer???

Old 12-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
I really like mine. It's a Knight and shoots like a Knight & that's why I chose it over all other inlines out there. I can shoot three 50 gr. Triple Sevens & a 250gr. T/C superglide sabot/bullet at around 2100 FPS at 150 yds and keep em in a 3"-4" circle all day long. I killed my best Muley buck ever with it this season at 208 yds.
The trigger is great. The recoil pad is the best I've ever used and the barrel is... well it's a Knight / Green Mountain!
My only complaint is removing the breech plug after 8 or more shots. It is scary tight!!! One time after 13 shots, I had to gently heat it up & use a large socket wrench to budge it loose.
Knight definately needs to address this issue. Otherwise, I would say buy it - money well spent. jimsmokepole
I hope ypu are providing lubrication on your BP, either a BP grease or wrapping it in teflon tape or both...

If you shoot BH you probably do not need to do this but with any of the other subs, especially T7, you need to have lubrication on the BP or it will seize.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has there ever been a ML somebody didn't complain about? The only thing I will complain about is loading a bare primer in the Mountaineer. Once you practice it's pretty easy. The Ultralight Arms is the same way.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a Mountaineer yet, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that it WILL be my next ML purchase.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Has there ever been a ML somebody didn't complain about? The only thing I will complain about is loading a bare primer in the Mountaineer. Once you practice it's pretty easy. The Ultralight Arms is the same way.

Yep, an Omega X7.

I have practiced and practiced and practiced and practiced some more and it is as hard today as it was the first time. May need to see if Mike will sell me one of his primer cappers.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is more difficult for me to prime the X7 with scope in low rings, than it is to prime either the extreme or the elite with low rings, and nfpj plugs. Priming the extreme, and the elite is trivially easy for me. To prime the X7 require me to leave fingernails grow.

The X7 stock is slippery.

My next rifle purchase will be a Mountaineer.

There are 3 X7 here. One with peep sight for muzzle loader season. One with scope for rifle season. The other cuz i really really like them X7.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It is more difficult for me to prime the X7 with scope in low rings, than it is to prime either the extreme or the elite with low rings, and nfpj plugs. Priming the extreme, and the elite is trivially easy for me. To prime the X7 require me to leave fingernails grow.

The X7 stock is slippery.

My next rifle purchase will be a Mountaineer.

There are 3 X7 here. One with peep sight for muzzle loader season. One with scope for rifle season. The other cuz i really really like them X7.
I may be wrong but, pretty sure it is a different setup than the new NFPJ on the mountaineer.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I may be wrong but, pretty sure it is a different setup than the new NFPJ on the mountaineer.
You are correct BC, there is more to getting the primer in the nose of the bolt and in the rails. You can not simply drop it in the opening.

The cappers i made were a spur of the moment thing... I plan making some out of cutting board Teflon that will be more durable, but that will come later in the year.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

uh oh be prepared for a worn out Mountaineer post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
With the low DNZ extended eye relief moun that I have my Omega priming it is no problem. It moves the scope far enough forward to not be in the way. It is easier to prime than my Mountaineer was, but that doesn't really matter to me. The thing that really sets it apart as far as the primer, is that there is no bolt with a little tiny primer lip to clean fouling out of. That was the hardest thing to clean on my Mountaineer.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

It is a severe draw back to the whole gun. The bolt is a big issue as stated between cleaning and putting a primer in. As SL (i think) stated whoever designed it, must not have used it.

To me, it is a serious flaw. but at least it is a good shooter.

I think I am going to get an X7 next.

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 12-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.