Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer???

Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mountaineer???

Whats up with the new Knight Mountaineer guys. I've seen some in the classifieds and read where other were not happy with theirs. Whats the deal. I was really interested in this gun. You guys give me your opinions on this gun please. Are they worth the money? Is it as good as we all hoped it would be or not?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

From all the post I have read on the rifle, depending on who is answering, you will get different answers. There have been some excellent in the field reports so far from owners. Why others are not pleased with the rifle, is hard to say. There have also been posts reference Knight's customer service. So I guess this is one you will have to decide for yourself. Personally I would buy one, but I need another rifle like a hole in the head.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Cayugad. Come on guys. Chime in here and let me know what you think. Would you spend the money on a Mountaineer? I already have an Omega and an Endeavor so its not like I need it. I just really like the looks of this gun. How will it stack up to the two I already have?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

obviously, I will sell mine! It is a fine gun great trigger nice stock but, i find it front heavy, hard to clean compared to open breach or drop breach and no more accurate. Least not that an animal would tell.

My experience with the Knight CS dept. did it for me. In the end everything is straight but, i feel it should have never went the way it did. Very dissappointing!!!

Hell, I can't even get a bite on a slightly used one, for well over 200.00 cheaper than new. That should tell the story of how well these are sought after. But, they are so busy they can not keep up with shipping?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I love mine. It out shoots any muzzleloader I have ever owned in the past, including other Knights or Pro Hunters that I have owned. This is a beautiful gun in every sense of the word. It is the most detailed muzzy I have owned as well. I had an issue when I first bought it and come to find out it was my error not the gun or the company, speaking of that, Knights customer service was hands down better than TC's was ever to me?? The gun is a keeper and will not be leaving my ownership.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the Bighorn instead, since the disc and mountaineer did not offer me features I was interested in.

Right now, I see the dual safety, plunger action the only attribute that sets Knight apart for me. And for most people I read, those features are of little consequence or considered old hat.

Knight is going to have to offer a break open gun at a competitive price soon, to increase market share. Otherwise, they will stay small, maybe Western State users, open action users, or others like me, who prize safety over ease of use.

They are American made, and accurate, but more accurate than a T/C Impact at almost $150 dollars less than an entry level Bighorn? I don't know.

I guess all guns having an all stainless line up, and the Littlehorn are other areas that distinguish them.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Spike

Default Mountaineer

I am very pleased with my Mountaineer. It's accurate. It has a great trigger. And it's well made.

Some folks have said that the breechplug is tight to get out, but then it later appears that some of them may be using pink teflon tape. I have not had any trouble with the breechplug. It has a snug fit. So, I use either grease or white teflon, which is thinner than pink.

Some people complain about the price. Their complaint doesn't bother me. They should spend their money (the fruit of their own work) they way they see fit. I am happy with my purchase of the Mountaineer, and feel that I received a superb MZ.

I have seen complaints about the customer service. I know that before Knight suspended operations, their customer service was very good. I have not really use their customer service since then they have come back on line. I ordered their new ramrod a couple of weeks ago. It took about a week to arrive, but I wasn't in a hurry. So, I can't say for sure how their customer service is.

Those are my experiences with the new Knight and the Mountaineer.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Spike

I really like mine. It's a Knight and shoots like a Knight & that's why I chose it over all other inlines out there. I can shoot three 50 gr. Triple Sevens & a 250gr. T/C superglide sabot/bullet at around 2100 FPS at 150 yds and keep em in a 3"-4" circle all day long. I killed my best Muley buck ever with it this season at 208 yds.
The trigger is great. The recoil pad is the best I've ever used and the barrel is... well it's a Knight / Green Mountain!
My only complaint is removing the breech plug after 8 or more shots. It is scary tight!!! One time after 13 shots, I had to gently heat it up & use a large socket wrench to budge it loose.
Knight definately needs to address this issue. Otherwise, I would say buy it - money well spent. jimsmokepole
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Jim, I think that tight breech plug is your powder and not the rifle. Years ago when I used T7, I would always give the breech plug a twist or two just to break up that crud ring that forms, probably because of the sugar base. I think that is an old problem that has been discussed alot when the powder was new.

Dont have a mountaineer, but I really love my Elite. Once I added the lehigh breech plug and Knights 250 red hots using bh209 it really gained in accuracy. About 1 1/2 at 150 yards and then with a high lung hold, another bullet dropped into the same group from 200 yards sitting postition. Made my day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.