Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bh 209?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

does this blackhorn 209 stuff have to be cleaned out same day. how corrosive is it? if i shoot this powder at the range a couple times just to check zero and do a basic after the session cleaning with a few dry patchs and finish with a very light oil patch can i just load it up for a weeks worth of hunting without worry?

Last edited by liquidorange; 12-01-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Depends on how its stored and what your weather is like. I wouldnt have a problem running a couple dry patches down the bore to remove loose fouling. After that i'd store it for a week or so.

With the 2 in 1 bore scrubber it has an anti rust prohibitor in it that allows you to skip the need for oiling.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use the clp break free stuff on other guns for fast cleaning jobs. its got a mild cleaner and rust lubricant but know nothing of affects on sabots or this kinda powder. i was thinking blackhorn 209 being similar to modern smokeless i was hoping not to have worry about doing a full cleaning for a few weeks. shot some of this stuff at the range in my omega with 300 grain barnes expanders and turns out the combo is great.now this weekend i gotta get my brother to shoot it in his optima.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

There have been more than one post on this forum about the corrosive properties of BH209. I don't really recall the particulars, but it seems to me it has been mentioned that sulfur is part of the make-up of BH. I believe that sulfur mixed with water wants to cause rust in a rifle barrel. Myself, i know nothing about the chemical properties of BH, but i do know that if left uncleaned after shooting BH, a rifle barrel will rust. More than one of my rifle barrels have minor pitting due to leaving them uncleaned after shooting BH209. Removing the fluff with a dry patch will help. Perhaps reloading, and pushing the fluff into the powder will help stop this rusting.

What i do is load my rifle at the beginning of season, and leave it loaded until i get a shot. Then i reload, and if this second shot isn't needed, i leave the rifle loaded until the next time i need a shot, or until i know i won't hunt the next day. The vast majority of the time, the barrel is fine, and has no rust. However, ever once in a while, there ends up being some rust in the barrel. This results in minor pitting. Accuracy doesn't seem to suffer, but the barrel has minor pitting. Myself, i don't understand why the majority of the time, the uncleaned barrel doesn't rust, but on rare occasions it does rust. As i type this, my rifle is clean, and in the truck loaded.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

ron, i have left mine loaded on a clean barrel for several months and have never had any pitting or rust. but, if i shoot it and reload and don't clean it soon. I have rust and minor pitting. I believe it is the soot left after being fired that is corrosive but if loaded on a clean barrel, it is fine. this has been my experience.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
ron, i have left mine loaded on a clean barrel for several months and have never had any pitting or rust. but, if i shoot it and reload and don't clean it soon. I have rust and minor pitting. I believe it is the soot left after being fired that is corrosive but if loaded on a clean barrel, it is fine. this has been my experience.
Yes, i agree.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive been spoiled using the blackmag 3 cans that i have left. i can go the whole season without a major scrub.im running low and wanna keep that powder for my caplocks. the blackhorn is a step above the black mag 3 in that it needs no swabbing between shots compared to every 4 or 5 or so. i guess im gonna try some things and see what happens. maybe there is a way to neutralize the corrosive affects without having to do a full scrub down. i just wanna be able to show up at hunting camp and fire a few down to check zero and load it up and hunt the rest of the week without worries. im gonna call them tomorrow and find out the limitations.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

dry patch and push out the loose fouling that traps the moisture.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

talked to them today. they told me to leave the fowling shot and not worry unless moisture was an issue. they indicated to me that cleaning was no big deal compared to pyrodex. the hoppes elite cleaner would be fine and that scrubbing with a bore brush wasnt needed.