Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a decent muzzy. >

Looking for a decent muzzy.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a decent muzzy.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know why someone would pick up a Wolf for $200ish when you can get a SS Optima at wallyworld for like $220 but whatever…

For anyone thinking about picking up an Omega from Third Generation Shooting Supply here is a mini review:

First the ordering- I've wanted one of these guns for a long time and they have had the best price on them. They were at $400, then $450, and now at $325, which a crazy good deal because everywhere else that I have seen this gun it has been around $500. I had actually originally visited the site intent on ordering an X7 (they have those too for $500 NIB), but I couldn’t pass up this deal on the regular Omega. I ordered it on Monday night, and UPS dropped it off on Thursday. The gun was well boxed and exactly what I had ordered. They seem like a company on the up and up, and you have to like the $5 shipping!

The gun- The one that I received at least, was an older model. New in the box mind you, but not current production. I'm not sure how old it is, but it has the older hammer block design and doesn't have the hole in the breech area. Unfortunately, it isn’t old enough to have a welded front lug. I have only been into muzzleloaders for a few years, but due mostly to my inability to decide I have had a muzzleloader (or three) from every manufacturer, so I can compare the Omega fairly I think.

First off, the level off it and finish isn’t quite as high as the Mountaineer that I just sold (it’s still much higher the Accura V1 that I had), but then again I picked the Omega up for about half what I paid for the Mountaineer. The inletting in the stock is a bit rough, but I’m going to sand it smooth and more than likely epoxy bed it so it isn’t a huge deal. The finish is also a bit matte, which I really like. I like to remove the sights on guns so I can use a low scope mount and to have less stuff to get snagged up in the woods, now this is partially my fault because I was in a rush and didn’t heat the screws, but between the thread locker and the soft screws my rear sight barely got removed and my front is still on (with a completely buggered screw). Not a deal breaker, but a pain in the neck all the same. I the feel and balance of the Omega is great, even though I was going to get the X7, I can’t imagine ever needing a gun that points faster or that is handier than this.

One thing that I was worried about was the comb height. Everyone that has an Omega with a non-thumbhole stock seems to complain about its low comb. Maybe it’s just the scope setup that I have (a low DNZ extended eye relief mount, and a Redfield 2-7x33), but when I shoulder the gun my scope is just about exactly where I want it, maybe and eighth of an inch too high which is not a big deal. The trigger on the one I received feels to be about same pull weight as my Mountaineer was shipped with, so I would guess it to be about 3 pounds, and it breaks clean and smooth. I cleaned the crap out of it and polished the bore with about 50 passes of a patch with flitz on it and I can load a 300gr gold dot in a hph-24 sabot without extreme pressure. I’ll have wait until Sunday to shoot it, but if it’s a shooter, it’ll be about a perfect muzzleloader. Highly recommended!

I’ll try to get some pictures up later.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Josh,

Does your Omega have the fluted barrell? You said the front lug isn't welded. Any idea on what year it might be. Any way to tell from the serial number. That is a great deal for an Omega. I might need another one for that price.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a really good deal on the Omega.

I have a Wolf and it is a nice little carbine. Light, handy and accurate. You should be able to pick one up for around $175 if you look around. The Optima can be had for a little over $200 and it is maybe a better choice if you get the stainless, though it is a little bigger and heavier than the Wolf.

Another good choice is the T/C Impact- my buddy just got one and has been very impressed. I think he paid $200 new for his and it shoots tacks.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose that this can be considered opinion, but they can be measured if you know how. The Triumph has a high comb suitable for a scope, the Omega has a comb that is lower designed for use with iron sights.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=josh...just josh;3884388]I don't know why someone would pick up a Wolf for $200ish
I was simply responding to someone refering to the Wolf as a "pos", which it most definately is not. I believe I picked mine up at Wallmart for $170.00 and I love it.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Spike

I received my gray laminate Omega with SS barrel today from Third Generation Shooting Supply. ML came brand new in box and in perfect condition. Very happy with the purchase. Probably wont get a chance to get to the range for a couple of weeks, but am looking forward to it.

Ordered Thursday of last week and it was at my door today (following Wednesday)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Spike

Default New Optima in NW WI

Sconnyhunter,

I am also in NW WI.

I just joined the ML brotherhood about a month ago with a new CVA black/stainless Thumbhole Optima w/3 X 9 X 40 Scope, mounts & rings-boresighted for $279 at Dunhams.

Gun is easy to use & shoot.

I has the new Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP).

With 100 gr. Jim Shockey Gold powder, 250 gr Hornady SST loads and a Rem. Kleanbore primer I was shooting 2 - 2 1/2 inch groups beginning with my 6th shot with the gun (took 5 to sight in) at 100 yds.

Not a sniper rifle, but still pretty good. (I working on tryong other powder and bullets and expect to do better)

Gun is light, manuverable, and very light recoil with the thumbhole stock. Did I mention it's stainless and easy to clean??

Took my first deer on the first day of the WI ML season, 80 yds. offhand, dropped her in her tracks.

My experience with MLers is limited, but I am sort of picky and I have been VERY pleased with the CVA Optima.

Just saying...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Spike

SH:
How about if I sell you a wood stocked Knight MK-85 for 170.00. I have a bunch, wife says I have a problem, I'm going to part with some.
Nit Wit
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Spike

What? You don't like american made Knights?
Nit Wit: