Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent? >

why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

Check that the scope rings and bases are tight. I had my Knight putting strings of shots together last year. Took it to the range to start the season this year and it was shooting in a 6" group. Found that the scope bases were loose. Tightened them up and brought my group back together.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

I was cleaning between shots so i get a clean barrel grouping, that way when I hunt on a clean barrel I know what to expect. So a dirty barrel is better, ok we all know how corrosive blackpowder can be so it would pain me to leave my barrel dirty all weekend for fear of it corroding my barrel.

So how do u guys foul your barrel? Just a few primer? Does that really do enough? The primer is noncorrosive so i guess that wouldn't hurt right?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
I was cleaning between shots so i get a clean barrel grouping, that way when I hunt on a clean barrel I know what to expect. So a dirty barrel is better, ok we all know how corrosive blackpowder can be so it would pain me to leave my barrel dirty all weekend for fear of it corroding my barrel.

So how do u guys foul your barrel? Just a few primer? Does that really do enough? The primer is noncorrosive so i guess that wouldn't hurt right?
For most and not all MLers a Fouled Barrel will shoot the most Consistant Groups. When I Hunt with a Fouled Barrel I dont leave in all the Fouling, I Swab after the Shot then Reload. And I dont shoot 20 shots with only a couple of Swabs and then Reload. I usually shoot it a couple of times to make sure Im on, then Swab, Reload and Hunt, I know when I pull the Trigger the next time It'll be right where Im aiming.
Sometimes Popping a few Primers will be just as good, you'll have to play with it and see what Your ML likes and see where the Next Shot after a Popped Primer Hits.
I use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner in My Barrel, so I give some of the Benefit to that with how long I can go befor I need to Clean, I also have a Stainless Steel Barrel so between the Montana BC and the SS Barrel I have No Worries. I have gone a week or More with a Loaded Fouled Barrel, Shot it, Cleaned it and it looked like Brand New. I would'nt leave it Fouled for a Month or more but would'nt even worry about just a few Days.
Im also Lucky that My ACCURA hits where Im Aiming on a Clean Barrel, but I also know I'll be right on with a Fouled one too.
Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Fork Horn

The day before I go hunting, I fire one shot with half a load of powder, 40 grains for me. Besides fouling the barrel, it insures that my rifle is clear and ready to go with no issues. It stays that way through my deer hunt, usually 4 to 5 days. I have seen no evidence of damage to the barrel in the 8 or so years I have owned my rifle. I should also mention that I always fire 2 or 3 caps on an empty barrel with my Pedersoli to be sure everything is clear, then fire my fouling shot.

Last edited by Bruce H; 12-02-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are shooting BH209, NOT blackpowder. Big difference between the two. BH is minimally corrosive, meaning most people will tell you that you can not clean the gun for awhile after shooting with no problems. Heck, I shoot Triple Seven which is more corrosive than BH 209 and I have left the gun 48 hours or more after shooting without cleaning and I've had zero problems. And this is with a blued barrel, not stainless.

So if you are able to shoot a round or two, say, the day before you go hunting, or 2 days before, reload and then just leave it- that is what i would do personally.

Also, someone else mentioned that not all rifles shoot best on a fouled bore. One of mine shoots just fine on a clean bore, with no change in POI. But that varies between rifles and powders....