Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Good reading this month >

Good reading this month

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good reading this month

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dirt, Now I am surmising this as I don't use pellets. But with pellets you can probably push too hard and crush the pellets under the projectile thus making some of it 'loose' powder. This would probably change the burning rate from load to load depending on the amount of load pressure and varying the depth the ramrod is down the bore. Which would in turn be detrimental to accuracy.
IMO, with the right bullet or bullet/sabot combo, a firm steady pressure should be all that is needed to seat it over the charge. You will feel it make solid contact with the charge. That's when you make your reference mark on the ramrod for consistancy (and to check while in the field).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Makes sense bronko thank you
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Read the same article and could not beleive the photo of the bullet and solid powder sludge he was holding in his hand. I have a bolt action MZ and the hammer does get powder on it quite a bit so I make sure it gets cleaned and I have never had issues of a primer not going off. When seating the bullet I push down and have that famaliar point at which you and the witness mark know you are good and then I take the ramrod and raise it up and then slam it down once to be sure and it works great. I am constantly checking the seating especially if I leave it loaded for the next day. It was definetly a good read.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

The expert was positive that his EZ load sabot had moved just a little off the powder charge.
Wow, I do not want to have that to worry about. I have only had 2 sabot shooters, both load very hard, and I have never missed a deer with them, so I have never questioned whether my sabot/bullet had moved off the charge.

On the other hand, my many years of Maxi-Ball hunting, I would check every time I moved from place to place. I found that it had moved once, but that was on a mild/rainy day.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I don't think that author was a ML 'expert'. I think most of us know more than he does.