Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
4th Warmest November on Record >

4th Warmest November on Record

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

4th Warmest November on Record

Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

We don't all hunt here like you see on TV. You'll find me in deep timber 90% of the time. I don't even use binos to hunt. Let alone a spotting scope.

I know what you're up against. I was born and brought up in Mass. Me and my dad hunted all over New England. In a way I liked it a lot better than here. Climbing these mountains all the time gets old.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
We don't all hunt here like you see on TV. You'll find me in deep timber 90% of the time. I don't even use binos to hunt. Let alone a spotting scope.

I know what you're up against. I was born and brought up in Mass. Me and my dad hunted all over New England. In a way I liked it a lot better than here. Climbing these mountains all the time gets old.
You sound like My kind of a Hunter Muley My Buddys call Me the Camel because I Climb them Ravines like Im a Deer. I like to Show them all that a (almost) 50 Year Old Man can still out do any of them. I like it when they hear Me Shoot and call me and ask if I need the Gator......sometimes I say Yes but most of the time I just Drag out My Harvest. Like You My Spotting Scope is My Eyes and My Will to Hunt will Never Die.
(BP)
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right on brother.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Them hunting shows ruin new hunters.

I just love watching 180" class deer walking broadside along a manicured food plot right to the camera. After all...that's what deer do! And then the hunter smiles as he shows off all the high end toys it took to bring this deer down.

Then my boy go's hunting and has to climb a modest hill and he's like...."are we there yet?" "when do we shoot the deer?"

Well, that was a long time ago. Now he knows those videos are propaganda.

That part of NY your in is awesome. I was in southwest NY on a trip not long ago and it looked similar to what you described.

D
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
Them hunting shows ruin new hunters.

I just love watching 180" class deer walking broadside along a manicured food plot right to the camera. After all...that's what deer do! And then the hunter smiles as he shows off all the high end toys it took to bring this deer down.

Then my boy go's hunting and has to climb a modest hill and he's like...."are we there yet?" "when do we shoot the deer?"

Well, that was a long time ago. Now he knows those videos are propaganda.

That part of NY your in is awesome. I was in southwest NY on a trip not long ago and it looked similar to what you described.

D
Yep We have some Beautiful Country here.....those Hunting Shows show the Hunters that get to Hunt those Stands First, and they and not many other Hunters get to Hunt there. MONEY Talks. If anyone thinks that they can Pay for a hunt and go and Kill a Buck like the one's shown are in for a Big SHOCK!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Breechplug,
I too have been waiting for more snow-that storm on 10/29 gave us @16" here and I was up a tree for most of it. What a great hunt that was! I also just got some new to me backcountry skis so am ready to go & the weather looks to be changing for us. Cooling steadily for the next week & I'm betting on some snow here next week.
Do you get in on the lake effect storms at all?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I see. That's all I ever see. I hunt the timber-meadow edges at sunset and sunrise, and hunt the timber during the day. Still hunting the timber is really effective during the day. I find where they bed down.

I think it really depends on what kind of terrain you are hunting. A lot of us guys in the eastern US or midwest hunt areas that are VERY thick. It is very difficult to still hunt in these areas. Sure, you'll bounce up deer, but 90% of the time they will be in thick brush impossible to shoot through, and often times all you'll see is a white tail bouncing through the briars. So you either have to hunt in a stand just outside of the thick stuff waiting for them to come out, or you can set up a drive if you have 4+ guys to do it.

Having said that, I have had some success still hunting, but generally not in the thickest of areas.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

I took the 2nd and third week of November off to blackpowder hunt. Only 2 of the days were cold and clear. It rained almost every day and would hit the mid 60s each day. About every 3rd day it would blow 30 mph all day. I did see some bucks chasing does but not like other years. They clearcut my hunting land so my deer and kind of shook up. Next year when that cutover greens up I should do pretty decent.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well tomorrow is Dec 2nd, were Not going to have any Snow so this will be the FIRST TIME sone 1886 since we have'nt had any Measureable Snow. Also they say we wont have any Snow untill maber Dec 16th, Our Gun Season Ends on Dec 11th and Late ML Season ends on Dec 20th, so Mabey, just Mabey we'll have some Snow for a Couple of Days this Hunting Season, I just cant believe it!
I Hunted tonight with No Gloves on, and was comfortable, usually Im Shivering and Praying for it to get Dark so I can go Home to a Warm House, and dont even care if I see a Deer.
But as Bad as it's been for Tracking Deer I still have been seeing a-lot of them. Tonight I passed on another 6 Adult Does in the 120-140lb range. But with only 10 more days of Guns Season left and 2 more Doe Tags to fill and 1 Buck Tag left Im sure I'll let the Smoke fly befor too long.
Yes we done get much of a chance at a Deer when they have all the Thick Stuff to hide in. Even if you try and Drive em out of that stuff they'll just run circles in it and not come out, there Not that Stupid.
(BP)