Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Mountaineer Breechplug >

Mountaineer Breechplug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer Breechplug

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

You hit a lot of the issues I have with it and the benefits. Cleaning seems to be my biggest issue with the breach threads in the barrel and the bolt face is a bear to keep clean. It does seem rather front heavy and long but I can deal with that.

It is a good looking rifle and I love the trigger and the stock, and accuracy. I think I am going to keep mine but, if I decide to sell at least I got it for a good price. Maybe I wont get hurt too bad on a resell.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Come on guys knock it off.

Forum Rule # 8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Originally Posted by riversmokepole
Is that you EndeavorShooter ?

You should really try to find something else other than the Knight you bought to talk about
Your busted Endeavor Shooter
Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Wait I am confused, I thought you was endeavorshooter? I seen a post once where someone said he got an pm saying you and endeavorshooter was the same.

At least dont post on other forums about your Knight and then come over here again after you were banned with a differant name

That was way before you became a forum member !!!!

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Don't have to be a member to read the threads. But, glad you are the forum detective.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

josh...just josh

Now is the time to try out an X7, if weight and length are an issue with the Mountaineer. There are only a few left. The Mountaineer is a quality well built rifle; the same is true of the X7.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
josh...just josh

Now is the time to try out an X7, if weight and length are an issue with the Mountaineer. There are only a few left. The Mountaineer is a quality well built rifle; the same is true of the X7.
I want an x7 pretty bad and the only one I can find for sale, it's a good price and brand new, is on gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
josh...just josh

you read my mind! that is actually what am thinking of going with if I can sell my mountaineer
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

like a lot of us, I like to read and dream about the stories where some guy takes a shot at 250+ yards and drops the buck of his life... but in reality most of my hunting involves pushing through bush and trees and getting shots in the 50 yard range. Occasionally I will get a further shot say across a bean field, but in most cases I pass on the really far shots anyway. I think that an X7 would be perfect for me, even if I don't wind up selling the mountaineer I think that I am going to wind up with one of those someday anyway.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
like a lot of us, I like to read and dream about the stories where some guy takes a shot at 250+ yards and drops the buck of his life... but in reality most of my hunting involves pushing through bush and trees and getting shots in the 50 yard range. Occasionally I will get a further shot say across a bean field, but in most cases I pass on the really far shots anyway. I think that an X7 would be perfect for me, even if I don't wind up selling the mountaineer I think that I am going to wind up with one of those someday anyway.
My hunting is quite similar to yours, and it sure is nice to be packing the X7 through brush, and timber. I do practice with the X7 now and again at long range. Following is a photo of 5 shots from the X7 at 271 yard.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default I'v tried both

grease and white teflon tape with my Mountaineer. I prefer the grease because the BP has a good, snug fit. It is hard to turn in with the white tape.