HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Hunting Season is at an End (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354367-hunting-season-end.html)

50calty 11-26-2011 07:10 AM

Hunting Season is at an End

1 Attachment(s)
I know I havn't been on in a long time. But I thought I would fill you guys in on my season. And let me tell you that It has been a weird one at that. Antelope season was horrible. Winter sure took a toll on them. Had to hunt super hard and smart to get one. Ended up shooting a little buck that didn't even have the horns through the hide. It was a nice 200 yard head shot! Man that XTP Mag tore the right side of his head clean off. But he was the size of german shepard. Hard to tell the size with the grass is up at your waist. Opening weekend of deer/elk my Nikon 250bdc Omega scope failed me. The seal broke and inside the scope was foggy. So I took it off and luckly I had the same scope on a different gun and put it back on my BC Triumph. Sighted it in and was ready for hunting. Took a week off for elk and got a cow elk! First time that has happened in 14 years. Got one when I was 12 and now at 26. It was a 50 yard timber shot. Got 115 lbs of meat from her. Luckly there was snow so the drag wasn't horrible. After shooting my elk I noticed that my scope was fogged up inside. So I have had TWO Nikon Omega 250 BDC Scopes fail me in less than two months. I still used it for deer hunting because the weather was nice. But I sent that one back to Nikon too. Deer hunting was a bust for bucks. Only seen one and that was a two point not bigger then its ears. Ended up shooting a doe on thanksgiving. So this hunting season was just weird. Never had sooo much bad luck yet I got an elk. Nikon replaced the first scope with a new BDC300 so I'm sure the second they will do the same. Hope all your guys season went well.

cayugad 11-26-2011 07:58 AM

Opening weekend of deer/elk my Nikon 250bdc Omega scope failed me. The seal broke and inside the scope was foggy.
Wow that is not something I like to hear. I have such confidence in the Nikon line of scopes. It goes to show you, even a quality scope can fail.

Took a week off for elk and got a cow elk! First time that has happened in 14 years. Got one when I was 12 and now at 26. It was a 50 yard timber shot. Got 115 lbs of meat from her.
Again I am kind of shocked.. I would have expected much more meat off an elk. The elk I shot 20+ years ago, was a young bull and I know I got more then that off him. Maybe I have been fooling myself all these years. But congratulation of the cow elk. I am sure she will be good eating.

After shooting my elk I noticed that my scope was fogged up inside. So I have had TWO Nikon Omega 250 BDC Scopes fail me in less than two months.
Now I am just stunned. I guess I better stop bragging up Nikon products. I really am shocked as to why you'd have two scopes fail. Be sure and post what Nikon claims was the problem. Also what model was this.. the Omega?

That is a great picture. Nice looking elk there. Congratulations. I hope you had a good holiday and ate way too much food.

ronlaughlin 11-26-2011 08:09 AM

Very glad to learn of your elk hunting success. Our son got a cow also, up near Moose Mountain.

Doug100g 11-26-2011 10:53 AM

TWO Nikon Omega 250 BDC Scopes fail me
WOw! Not good at all. I have three of them. Hope they don't fail me.

D

50calty 11-28-2011 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=cayugad;3881540] Now I am just stunned. I guess I better stop bragging up Nikon products. I really am shocked as to why you'd have two scopes fail. Be sure and post what Nikon claims was the problem. Also what model was this.. the Omega?
QUOTE]

Yep it was the Omega 250 3x-9x. Beats me why this happened. Never expected this with Nikon. Just goes to show that sometimes it is just luck.

bronko22000 11-29-2011 03:42 PM

Well you have to be an optimist. Look on the bright side. You were able to get out in the fresh air and enjoy nature AND you have meat in your freezer for the winter. Having the scopes 'crash' on you is a bit unlucky but at least you are getting them or will be getting them replaced. And you can go shoot more to sight them in. So from an optimist's point of view, your season wasn't wierd - it was unique.
I on the other hand still have the late flintlock season here in PA. Maybe I'll get to shoot a doe and fill one of my two tags. Maybe I'll get to fill both tags. Or maybe I won't fill any. But I will be out there come snow or sunshine and I will be enjoying every minute of it.
My glass is always 1/2 full - never 1/2 empty.

Breechplug 11-29-2011 05:28 PM

Bad Luck, We all have it once in awhile. Dang 2 Bad Nikon BDC Scopes. When I was in the market for a Good ML Scope I had a choice between the Nikon and The Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope, both were about the same in price but I bought the Leupold. So far it has been the Best Scope I have Owned. Plus the Leupold has a Lifetime Warranty and it extends to anyone who may have the scope after you purchase it Forever. I dont even use the BDC on it, My ML shoots flat enough that sighted in at 2" High at 50yds I can hold High in the Lungs and still be good out to 180yds.
I know aht you mean about not being able to tell the size of Deer when there in Tall Grass, I Hunt a Place where there's a Swamp and a-lot of Swamp Grass, I've had Deer come through the Grass that looked Small so I Passed, but when they got out of the Grass they were BIG, too late for a shot.
Our Hunting Season has'nt been all that great this Season either, I still have 3 more weeks to go so Im Not going to Complain Yet.
Best of Luck To You!
(BP)