Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
i tired it i like it ..........................BH209 >

i tired it i like it ..........................BH209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default i tired it i like it ..........................BH209

i own what has been in the past a very finicky 209x50 encore .T7 did give excitable accuracy but only with 90gr T7 any more than that and it was any bodes guess were it was going to hit.

things that have been done to this barrel are the quick load was removed, which helped alot and mag-na porting to reduce recoil ,some thing i highly recommend.
then BH209, i stared with 90gr and i was pleased then tired 100gr and was happy to leaveoff with that. 120 gr was then tired and the bullet hit 9'' higher. one more shot and hit next to it which told me i was on to some thing.
next thing to try was 325gr TC MAXI-BALL's with 120gr BH............ WOW , this gun has never shot maxi's so well.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of people find Blackhorn more consistant with heavy loads and heavy bullets, It makes sense that a progressive burning powder would be.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

glad it is working for you. I just picked up the suggested primers from the forum members. They said my last bad experence was because of the Winchester W209 primers. So with the new Remington STS for shotguns, and CCI 209 for shotguns (there is one for shotguns and one for muzzleloaders so I got one of each). I will see if that powder can change my minds.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do still have one problem. years ago i used CCI primers and had a firring pin sticking problem, even broke a pin off so just in case that happens again i now keep a spare on hand .i changed to a different brand of primers and the problem went away. now that I've again used CCI primers to get the hot fire the firing pin problem is back .
the unfortunate thing is Jay's do not have any other mag primers to choose from, and i really dont expect them to get any other brand any time soon.

Last edited by cataway; 11-26-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: bad
Old 11-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do still have one problem. years ago i used CCI primers and had a firring pin sticking problem, even broke a pin off so just in case that happens again i now keep a spare on hand .i changed to a different brand of primers and the problem went away. now that I've again used CCI primers to get the hot fire the firing pin problem is back .
the unfortunate thing is Jay's do not have any other mag primers to choose from, and i really dont expect them to get any other brand any time soon.