Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Mag Hunter and BH209 Then Powder Shoot Off >

CVA Mag Hunter and BH209 Then Powder Shoot Off

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Mag Hunter and BH209 Then Powder Shoot Off

Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default CVA Mag Hunter and BH209 Then Powder Shoot Off

Well I am going to try this and see what happens I am about to walk out the back door and giver her the old college try

I will report back with photos and report this afternoon

Happy Thanksgiving Brothers

Well here is some shooting on Tday
CVA Mag Hunter Accura Breech Plug
Win 209
Redfield 4x widefield
110 Yards

First I will say, I have never used a fixed power scope and at 110 yards the bull is pretty small it has changed my mind as far as using High Power scopes I can see now that with a little practice its not as hard as I thought it would be...

Started off with 100gr BH209 Harvester Red smokeless sabot and 260 Gold bullets she was all over the place so changed to 90gr BH209 and switched to the smackdown sabot and she got good!!!
I had the peanut gallery outside helping so a few were shot by other family members..Shot one is a inch above shot 2 and about three inches left..I thought I was having scope issues at first so I decided to make a powder,sabot adjustment and scope adjustment to see and found out that it was just the sabot she didnt like.I used another target to check my scope adjustments..Then shot 6 was shot by my brother in law 7-9 were shot by my father in law

Then I decided to up the load with the red harvester sabot and 260gr Gold and see what would happen If I drove it faster..
So we shot 110gr BH209 then we went in to get some sweat tea and I could here my other powder yelling what the crap dude we can shoot as good as that new stuff so we had a shoot off I got tired of marking shots cause we keep shooting the markings off.

Shots 1-5 Father in Law BH 209 110gr then swabbed with GOJO and switched to Triple 777
Shots 6-8 Brother In Law Triple 777 3F 110gr swabbed with GOJO between shots.
Shots 9-11 by me Pinnacle 3F 110gr swabbed with GOJO between shots

Last edited by donjose; 11-24-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Photo add
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I have the same rifle and have never tried BH - according to Western Powders, the breech plug is the wrong type, but hey, you never know...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wear good safety glasses with side shields.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I left out that when I went from BH to the other powders I swabbed with alcohol !!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a CVA Mag Hunter and that Sucker could Shoot. I used to use 3-50gr Pyro Pellets and a 240gr XTP Mag Sabot. I took many Deer with that Baby untill I sold it to My Brother in Law. For the Money and it was'nt much it was a sweet shooter. Never tried anything your shooting or even knew you could use a ACCURA BP.
BP
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Great shooting!! Did you use the o ring in the BP pocket to get the tight seal? Another guy off a forum actually uses shims between the 2 bolt pieces to adjust the head space.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's some good shooting.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Yep I used two of the little metric orings on top of one another and had zero blow back I also rolled up some tin foil and shimed the bolt a little as well. But I am going switch to a #60 oring and see what happens I got this advise from another member so time will tell....

Thanks

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Great shooting!! Did you use the o ring in the BP pocket to get the tight seal? Another guy off a forum actually uses shims between the 2 bolt pieces to adjust the head space.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
That's some good shooting.
Floyd,
You were right she can shoot, when I get a chance I am going to try the 110gr 260 Gold in a smackdown sabot and see what happens..
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting there.. looked like you had a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.