HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Wow! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354198-wow.html)

Muley Hunter 11-23-2011 12:54 PM

Wow!

I love the DOW. Some of you may know that I got a special licence to use a scope during our ML season. Which is normally open sights only.

This took some serious paperwork from my eye surgeon/doctor.

So, the other day I was looking at how easy it is to get an archery licence. Plus it's almost always for either sex, and it's a month long.

So I says to myself............ Pete...you should buy a bow. Then I remembered my bum shoulder. Then I also remembered my eyesight, and the sights on a bow. No good. Good plan gone bad.

Wait!! Crossbows use scopes. I go to the DOW site, and check the laws. NUTS! Crossbows are only legal in rifle season. No good!

WAIT AGAIN!! Could I get a special permit to use a crossbow during archery season, because I need to use a scope?

I sure can. I just got the phone call from the DOW saying my special licence is being sent to me.

Now I have to start looking at crossbows.

I don't even need to wear blaze orange. :barmy:

Boonechaser 11-23-2011 12:59 PM

Congrats, now wait for all the compound guys to start giving you chit. Must be there way to feel good about taking all the chit from the long and recurve users, years ago.

Muley Hunter 11-23-2011 01:02 PM

I know it will be cluster. Doesn't bother me.

I like to hunt, and this lets me hunt a lot more. Plus no damn recoil to worry about.

What sort of range does a crossbow have? I might have to climb a tree. :)

chaded 11-23-2011 01:06 PM

I can't believe what I'm seeing. :eek2:

Boonechaser 11-23-2011 01:11 PM

I usually limit myself to 40yds. But, I commonly practice at 60 and have taken deer at that distance but they must be at ease and not alert. They can move a lot in the time it takes the arrow to reach them.

lemoyne 11-23-2011 01:19 PM

Muley Hunter
My favorite way to hunt our season runs from Oct 1 to the end of Feb.
I am allowed 3:cool2: tags in my home zone and 3 more in any other zone.
So far I have taken a 6 point wit the X bow and a doe with my Endeavor.
I have 3 Xbows a Exocet Excalibur, a 10 point with accur crank and a Parker Tornado. I use a scope on them but not a Xbow scope I use a Rifle scope that is "0" at 27.5 yards which allows me to am strait at a deer out to 30 yds which is my limit because xbows are nosier and even at 300 fps they will jump the string, in fact I try to keep the distance down to 25yd. If you buy a xbow that is 300+fps the trajectory is flat enough so it will carry as far as it is reasonable to shoot trying to shoot to far will always end in wounded deer.

Muley Hunter 11-23-2011 01:30 PM

How about for elk?

lemoyne 11-23-2011 01:40 PM

No problem just use a bit heavier point. I use aluminium arrows I get better penetration with them so it goes through clean and all I have to do is sharpen the head for the next one the deer I took this year was the third with that arrow and the one before it was not bent or broken but lost in high grass.

Muley Hunter 11-23-2011 01:44 PM

I have a lot to learn between now and August.

Muley Hunter 11-23-2011 02:01 PM

Damn! Crossbows are expensive.