Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else? >

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

How many of you after taking a Deer will clean it right where it fell, or mabey just drag it a few yards out of the way and do it there?
Our Hunting Group will take our Deer and go to a remote place on the Property and Clean our Deer out, I think the Deer just know by the smell of the Blood that somethings not right, also why have a reason for the Coyotes to come near your Hunting Spot. Sure we used to clean em where they fell and if a Yote happened by for a Snack we'd take Him Out. But now we like to try and keep it pretty clean near our spots.
There's Execptions to our Rules to, if say you take a Deer and are by Yourself and dont have the 4 Wheeler with you than we just Drag em as far away from our spot as possible and then clean them. Or if your unable to Drag that Beast to far then you can do it where you are, and one of us will pick up the remains and put them in a Trash bag and take them elsewhere, and Yes we Carry the Trash bags with us and put the Remains in them after we Clean.
We all do a Great Job at Cleaning Deer so the Mess is'nt as Messy as you think, just two easy piles to pick up, it's a Messy Job but we do it.
I know in some Places Hunters are not allowed to clean there Deer where they Hunt on Certain Properties.
Just Wondering what you all do??
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Spike

I shot a deer this season, and she ran off into the woods. After searching for a day, I gave up hope of finding her. Two days later, I shot another one in the same location. Found him. I also found the first one. She apparently went into the woods, came back out into the field and died. 30 yards from where I shot them both. The coyotes and buzzards picked her clean. The second deer didn't seem to mind that his fellow deer was laying 30 yards away as a skeleton. I think they are use to the death smell and critter smell. It's just our smell that freaks them out.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

Typically, I just clean'em where they lay. Unless, they've run into thick cover, then I'll drag'em to the field edge. Death is an everyday part of nature. I don't believe it spooks the deer anymore than an animal bedding down and dying on it's own within the area I hunt. I've actually had deer walk right by the remnants of a gut pile left from a few days earlier. As for attracting coyotes, well... they travel through the area anyway. I'm sure they're scent is more familiar to the deer in the area than mine.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

We bring in all our deer to the garage, hang, skin then gut. But we can, cause we're hunting at home(on the farm).

I the past though, I've shot and gutted deer right where they dropped (near stands) and shot multiple deer from the same stand throughout the week.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt I just field dress them where they fall.
Have gone back many times the next morning and it's usually all gone by then. If it wasn't for blood stains sometimes it would be hard to find the place again.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I clean them where they fall. By the next day there is nothing left but the contents of the stomach. I have never noticed it keeping the deer from returning to the same area the next day.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Where they lay. I have watched deer eat next to a bleeding deer I just shot, and other times deer enter an area where a deer is down and dead, and pay no attention to it. I was gutting a deer, and had a buck walk up to see what I was doing. I shot him at 15 feet.

Deer are stupid, mostly. They don't cross the road at cross walks, have not learned to fear motor vehicles in 100 years or seem not be afraid of blood.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

i usually clean deer (and hogs) where they fall. Sometimes i'll set up near the gut pile and shoot coyotes as they come in.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

We clean them right where they fall. Since we hunt in a group, many times after a kill you sit for hours waiting on everyone to finish up their hunt. I can't count how many times other deer/buck/turkey would come through the area where you just shot something. The deer here don't seem to mind it. A buddy of mine shot a nice buck while the deer was sniffing the blood soaked arrow sticking in the ground from a coyote he had shot about 20 mins before that.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where they fall for me and most people I know. If anything would spook a deer IMO, it would be the human scent left behind while gutting the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.