Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else? >

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I drag to the first spot that will make it easier to clean the deer. I gutted a deer once near my favorite stand years ago. The next day I watched 2 wild pitbulls get in the wildest tug of war with the intestines that I have ever seen. lastest at least 20 minutes of growling and snapping.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I usually field dress them where they fall. but this year the club had some issues with this and I ended up wrenching my back twice dragging a deer from the woods.

Screw 'em next year. I will gut 'em where they drop!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by OzarkPA
Does everyone gut their deer? I remember reading a couple of guys on the boards here who quit gutting deer a long time ago stating it was a lot of extra work for just two teeny inner loins.
You do this in Virginia and it will get you a ticket for intentional wasted meat. I have seen guys in my club get censored for doing just this.

Too many people hungry out there to wast good meat!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I clean them were they fall, the deer doesnt seem to mind. Last friday morning I shot a wolf in a clear cut, lots of blood arround, went back that evening and shot a nice 4 point buck on the same clear cut, about 500 yards from were I shot the wolf, gutted it out there and the following day my dad shot a 5 point buck off of the same clear cut. The blood and gut pile didnt seem to make ANY difference.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

i usually drag them out a ways if i drop them in a spot i want to hunt again later. No use stinking up the spot with both my scent and blood. I dont think a dead deer will hurt a spot that much, ive heard of dropping a doe near your stand and then using it as bait to bring in a buck on top of you (not saying leave the deer or not dress it, just saying leave it for awhile to see).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default on the spot

I was faced with the problem just yesterday. She fell in the middle of some sloppy mess. A 5 yard drag out, dress immediately and then wait for the 4 wheeler. I have never had it so good.