Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hearts and Livers and Tongues, Oh MY! >

Hearts and Livers and Tongues, Oh MY!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hearts and Livers and Tongues, Oh MY!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hearts and Livers and Tongues, Oh MY!

OK guys, do you keep that deer liver or toss it? Eat it while it's fresh or freeze it?

How about hearts or tongues?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The taste just ain't appealing to me. It's yote food.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep both the Heart and Liver, but the Tongue?? never heard of that one, mabey a Cow Tongue.
I give the Liver's to a Buddy who makes a Liver Loaf, I like Beef Liver and Onions but I can take or leave the Deer Liver. Now the Deer Heart is Pretty Good, I soak it in water and keep rinsing it out untill most of the Blood is out of it, sometimes I do it with Milk, or even mix some Milk in with the Watre. I then slice the Heart thin, mabey about a 1/4", slice me up some Onions heat up the pan with some Olive Oil and fry it up. It taste like Steak, if you've never tried it, ty it you'll be surprised how good it taste.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll keep an occasional deer liver. To me it's just as good as beef liver.
Never ate heart or tongue, though.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Toss it all. At one time we had 1 guy in our group that liked liver. But he's since passed so it all stays in the gut pile.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

I keep and eat the liver and heart, never heard of anyone keeping the tongue.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I've ate the deer heart one evening while we camped and hunted. We'd stalked and shot a nice deer that day and for the evening meal, we fried the heart in bacon grease and onions back at camp. It was pretty good. But then we were starving from being on the move all day.

The liver I will not eat. My friend eats deer liver. He makes some kind of paste out of it. Then he smears that goop on crackers. He seems to enjoy it. And after he eats it that man is disgusting to be around because he breaks the most horrible wind you ever experienced.

The tongue is said to be the best part of the deer. I just can not make myself cut it out and eat it. They say, skin the tongue and boil it with onions and peppers until tender, then set it over a wood fire grill and cook it. It's suppose to be really good. I've ate cow tongue and it was good. But I never knew what I was eating at the time.

So my answer is.. leave the guts in the woods.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Gotta eat the heart! ( kind of a spiritual thing w/ me)

Liver & kidneys-no. Although I enjoy calf/beef & chicken livers, something about the texture of the deer's organ gives me pause.
Never had any sort of kidney.
I've always enjoyed turkey & chicken gizzards too which, if I think about it, is a little gross...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I don't eat organ meat if I can help it. Ok, maybe its in hotdogs and bologna, if it is don't tell me.

I have eaten squirrel brains and tongue when I was a kid. My grandmother would pan fry the heads. Don't believe I would do that now though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.