Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts... >

Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...

Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...

How Many of You out there think the Camo Your Wearing or the Scent Free Soap your using is really giving you that much of an advantage, or what you do or do not do while in your Hunting Spot.
When I was Younger I did it all from Face Paint to the Best Camo to washing all My Clothes in Scent Free Soap and storing them in Bags in a Toat. I washed My Rubber Hunting Boots with Well Water befor each Hunt and did'nt smoke while on stand (if your a smoker) to all the rest of it.......did it Help.......
Now dont get Me wrong I still Ocassionally wash with Scent Free Soap and Wash My Hunting Clothes in Scent Free Detergent, but if Im out of Scent Free Soap, Dove Works just fine. Or if Im out of Scent Free Laundry Soap whatever My Wife uses will work.
Why Im asking this is because So Many out there have taken this Scent Free thing way overboard, along with Camo Clothing thinking that if they Wash with this ir buy this Camo they'll have an edge on getting that Big Buck.
My Wife used to Hate it when I made Her wash with the Scent Free Soap befor going out Hunting, She said it Dried out Her Skin and made Her Hair Dry, plus I made Her Not wear any Makeup, Yes I made Connie Mad!.....did all this work....did all the things I did to Be Scent Free and all our Special Camo Clothing get us that BIG BUCK.....did that Urine Bottle I used because I thought the Deer would Smell My Pee Help...or that Smoke I had in Stand make a Difference.......No
I have come to the Conclusin that No Matter what Camo you use or how Scent Free you think you are the Deer are still going to SMELL You if there Up Wind of You or see you when you Move when your wearing that $500 Hunting Scent Free Suit. It's all a Gimick to make all of those guys you watch on TV Hunt them 800,000 Acre Farms and take them BIG BUCK's Richer and be able to Buy More Farms and Take More Big Bucks while they all Laugh at you while there Cashing in on Your Money so they can Buy More Hunting Properties that NOBODY Get's to Hunt execpt them, and you see them Taking theese Big Bucks because you think they have an edge because they use that (Product) or (Camo) NO, it's because if you owened Land, and a-lot of it that Nobody Hunted but You and the Deer were Unpressured and you were able to let them Grow to be Big, then You could get them Big Deer Too.
You Could Dress in a Business Suit on Opening Day and Smoke a Expensive Cigar while on Stand and NO Deer would be able to SMELL You if they were Up-Wind. Now any Downwind Deer will Smell You No matter how Scent Free you think you are, you'd have to be in a Plastic Bubble for them not to, and if you were How in the Heck could you shoot anyway.
I've had Turkeys walk by Me during Gun Season while I was on the Ground Dressed in Full Blaze Orange Mossy Oak Break Up Camo and they never saw me, some at feet away.....when did they see me, when I MOVED.....while on Deer Stand did that Big Buck Smell Me when He was Up Wind of Me while I was having a Smoke and Eating a Sandwich.....Nope......when did He see Me...when I Moved. Did the Deer Smell Me when I was as Totally Scent Free as I could be when they were Down Wind of Me, YES, EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Im trying to make this short....Deer will Smell You No matter how Scent Free you think you are if there Down Wind of You, and NO Deer will Smell you if there Up Wind of You no matter even if you just Pooped Your Pants! and No Deer will see You if you Dont MOVE no matter what your wearing. I've also PEED in More Deer Scrapes than I can remember and have had Bucks come in and tear them up, if I have to PEE while Im Hunting I PEE. My PEE has Never Spooked a Deer. The ONLY thing I do and it sometimes works more than not is I Spray My Hunting Boots with BUCK PEE to cover My Scent walking into My Hunting Spot, it helps but is'nt a sure fire way to hide your Tracks. I've walked into My Hunting Spot and done that and had it snow a Foot over My Tracks and still had Deer come by and Smell them. Deer can Smell way more than you think.
Ya I do the Scent Free Camo thing but it's not because I know I'll be a better and more successful Hunter because of it, I just do it because I Lookg Good and Smell Good.
There's only 2 things that will make you a Successful Hunter and they dont cost you a thing, One is Movement and the other is the Wind Direction, that's it PERIOD!..........your Thoughts.......
Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Breechplug, when you watch all the hunting shows on tv just watch the ADDS. Scent Lock and all the other companys out there are making a KILLING off of the hunting public. I do wash in scent free soap and also my cloths, then they go into a Big rubber maid with pine bows and acorns, all natural. Most read to much into what they are fed off of all the hunting show adds.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Use what ever you feel gives you an advantage.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sqezer
Breechplug, when you watch all the hunting shows on tv just watch the ADDS. Scent Lock and all the other companys out there are making a KILLING off of the hunting public. I do wash in scent free soap and also my cloths, then they go into a Big rubber maid with pine bows and acorns, all natural. Most read to much into what they are fed off of all the hunting show adds.
Watched a show today " Nosler magnum tv??" and they were hunting in a ranch in TX and the dude is walking around huge bucks talking on a cell phone and the deer are just standing there feeding.

Yeah, looked to be tamed deer that were just shot as trophies.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, some times you just wounder. Deer in wisc. are not that dumb.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
Oh, Im with You Sqezer on the Hunting Show Ads....all My Hunting Cloths are washed in Scent Fee Detergent and stored in Totes also, only because I like to be Clean and Not Smell. But they have Never gave me an Advantage when the Deer walk downwind of me, Ever.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts.

For years and years I wore plaid wool. Everybody did in the 50's. Only lately did I discover it works as good as camo. I think what's important is to get all the brighteners out of your clothing so you don't look like a light bulb to game. It also needs to be very quiet clothing if you still hunt. Wind and waterproof is nice too. Light clothing that can be layered is also a plus. New materials like Gore-Tex is hard to beat.

What it comes down to is the hunting camo clothing has all these features, and non of the disadvantages of the old wool clothing. Like the bulk and weight of wool, and how heavy it gets when wet.

For these reasons i've gone to camo clothing to get the features of modern materials. I find fleece very comfortable and quiet. I use clothing that has two layers of fleece with Gore-Tex in the middle. The camo pattern doesn't bother me anymore, Anything that will break up the human shape works.

As for scent control? I don't go to extremes, but I do it somewhat. If i'm downwind I expect to get busted. My bad. I use some scent control in case the wind swirls or changes direction on me. It will give me a few seconds longer to get a shot off while the game tries to figure out what I am.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My thoughts.

For years and years I wore plaid wool. Everybody did in the 50's. Only lately did I discover it works as good as camo. I think what's important is to get all the brighteners out of your clothing so you don't look like a light bulb to game. It also needs to be very quiet clothing if you still hunt. Wind and waterproof is nice too. Light clothing that can be layered is also a plus. New materials like Gore-Tex is hard to beat.

What it comes down to is the hunting camo clothing has all these features, and non of the disadvantages of the old wool clothing. Like the bulk and weight of wool, and how heavy it gets when wet.

For these reasons i've gone to camo clothing to get the features of modern materials. I find fleece very comfortable and quiet. I use clothing that has two layers of fleece with Gore-Tex in the middle. The camo pattern doesn't bother me anymore, Anything that will break up the human shape works.

As for scent control? I don't go to extremes, but I do it somewhat. If i'm downwind I expect to get busted. My bad. I use some scent control in case the wind swirls or changes direction on me. It will give me a few seconds longer to get a shot off while the game tries to figure out what I am.
Yes Fleese is Great, Quiet and if it gets wet for some reason it does'nt soak through and it Drys Fast. Gore Tex, yep I have it in everything I wear from Boots to Clothes to Hats and Caps. But it is Noisy in clothing.
Now when I Bow Hunt I do go further with the Scent Free stuff because shots are Close and that extra few seconds does help sometimes, but after the Season has gone on for awhile the Deer are onto you and you dont get them extra few seconds. During Gun Season if a Deer is Downwind of You and Smells you and you dont shoot it beor it leaves then it's Probably too far to shoot anyway.
But all in all the Wind and Movement are the 2 Main Factors in a Deers Survival, and of Course the Missed Shot and Ocassional Tree
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're right about Gore-Tex being loud, but when it's sandwiched between two layers of fleece. I only hear is when I put the clothing on. I never hear it again hunting.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Spike

It is the old whitetail bucks and does that will change your success rate by catching your scent downwind of your stand. They can figure out how far you are from them by scent dispersion. They may move in slowly looking for you, and if they catch you moving they will probably leave just as quietly. Now that they know your hiding place they will use the wind to scent check your stand area and see if you are there. If you hear deer snorting at you from a long way off downwind from you this is probably what has happened. The younger deer are slower to figure it out. Scent free or smelly they will find you. The ONLY thing that i feel truly helps is rubber boots for the walk in to the stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.