HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shooting with your opposite hand. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354030-shooting-your-opposite-hand.html)

little gump 11-20-2011 05:56 PM

Shooting with your opposite hand.

I was curious if very many of you ever shoot with your
opposite hand. Last year I was sitting in a ladder stand
when a nice buck came by on my right at 20yds. Since I am a
right handed shooter I was not able to get a shot. After that
happened I thought it would be nice to shoot with my
opposite hand. I have practiced some and at 30yds I feel
very confident if this situation happens again I can make the
shot. Hunting here in the midwest can offer many different
shooting situations and this can be another way to not only
challenge yourself but also to fill a tag.

shooter50 11-20-2011 06:15 PM

I am right handed as well and I shoot right or left handed all the time while hunting. I even do it with my crossbow when deer hunting. I used to be a little slow finding the sight picture in my scope so I tuned my left handed shooting by shooting trap and skeet left handed. Now I shoot either way and I don't even have to think I just do it.

Breechplug 11-20-2011 06:15 PM

I just stand up if in a stand and move to get into position. Never tried shooting with My Left Hand and probably never will. You cant always get every Deer that walks by. But I guess if you Practice and get er down good than you'll have one on Me.
I find Most Hunters position there Stand Facing the Trails they expect to see Deer on, I set My Stands so there facing to the right of the Trails, so when a Deer walks by Im shooting to My Left, and being a Right Handed Shooter it works Perfect. But again you just never know wich way a Deer may happen to come.

HEAD0001 11-20-2011 06:22 PM

I am a leftie. However I also practice shooting right handed. I do alot of varmint shooting. And probably half of my varmint shooting is right handed. Wherever they show up-I shoot.

Actually it is a pretty funny sight. I shoot a left hand rifle right handed with my middle finger because I cut off my index finger on my right hand with a table saw(yes it hurt). Tom.

Chasam60 11-20-2011 06:23 PM

I hunted a buddy's stand one time.When the deer came by,I suddenly remembered he is left handed.I tried..I missed so bad the deer did not even run.I really should practice LH because I am left eye dominate,and shoot pistol lefty.

Charlie

sqezer 11-20-2011 07:00 PM

It makes no difference to me at all, I prefer to shoot right handed, but if I need to shoot left handed, no problem. My son still talks about some of the deer I've had to shoot from the other side, and shakes his head. :confused0024:

Muley Hunter 11-20-2011 07:10 PM

I'm really dominant right handed. I shot that way all my life. 7 years ago I lost the sight of my right eye. I switched to shooting left handed, and it felt so awkward I almost gave up hunting. In time it got more comfortable, and i'm ok with it now.

So, anybody trying to switch who thinks they can't do it? Give it time, and it won't feel so bad.

sqezer 11-20-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chasam60 (Post 3879071)
I hunted a buddy's stand one time.When the deer came by,I suddenly remembered he is left handed.I tried..I missed so bad the deer did not even run.I really should practice LH because I am left eye dominate,and shoot pistol lefty.

Charlie

Its not as hard as it sounds, Im left eye dominat myself, start of with a .22 and move up from there.

moridgerunner 11-20-2011 08:28 PM

If you practice half-a-dozen shots left-handed you will realize that off-hand shooting is more stable, you just need practice pulling the trigger.

cayugad 11-20-2011 08:28 PM

I have done it. I don't practice it. So I don't do it. I am not going to take the chance and wound a deer because I think I "need to shoot." I would rather wait and see if the opportunity comes my way. Now if I can turn and shoot that's different. Also I can shoot a handgun left handed quite well. But I am not hunting with a handgun.

Too many hunters fail to hit their target with their dominate hand and having lots of practice. That is the reason I am making my stand that I will not do it.