Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting with your opposite hand. >

Shooting with your opposite hand.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting with your opposite hand.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

I had a similar experience to you for my first deer ever. It came on my right, I couldn't spin around so I traded hands and shot it left handled. Should have let it go out further and grunted it to turn around I guess, but I was young and anxious. I got it right between the shoulders and dropped it in its tracks. Have't done it again though.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do it and practice quite frequently with my .22 when squirrel hunting...
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting with both hands since I was a kid. During the summers my dad and I would play horse with .22s and make all kinds of absurd trick shots. I don't practice it a lot, but the last time I shot left handed (I'm a righty) I shot more than well enough to take a deer at the ranges I hunt.

Some people it comes naturally, others you have to practice a lot. FWIW, I also play hockey, baseball, golf and pool with both hands.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I've been shooting with both hands since I was a kid. During the summers my dad and I would play horse with .22s and make all kinds of absurd trick shots. I don't practice it a lot, but the last time I shot left handed (I'm a righty) I shot more than well enough to take a deer at the ranges I hunt.

Some people it comes naturally, others you have to practice a lot. FWIW, I also play hockey, baseball, golf and pool with both hands.
You're ambidextrous. Not the case for the majority.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

The last buck I got busted me from behind, tried to circle me to my right downwind and I resorted to shooting south paw.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Spike

a guy i know tried to shoot a turkey off-handed, he is a lefty, shot right handed. 3" 12ga. went off as expected butt stock hit him right on the end of his nose. Not funny at the time but it sure is now. blood everywhere. Killed the turkey somehow.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Spike

I think you will find more lefties going both ways. On paid hunts stands are usually set for right handers. I use saws, nail guns and most tools w/either hand so I shoot both ways w/muzzleloader. Guns with multi shots I try to shoot natural as second shots off handed are hard. I bought my LRH used as new they all have thumb holes.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Being that i went to catholic shool .... lets just say them nuns tried to beat the lefty out of me .....My dad refused to pay more for lefthanded equipment... I learned to do most everytrhing right handed ... I shoot bow right handed because im stronger right handed but i can shoot either hand just as well.I am lefty and i dont have a dominant eye.I guess im a lucky one.That said in the past 10 years most of my guns i have bought are lefty and have converted a few shotguns to lefty.Just what i like better.